Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has a new corsa 1.4 life and it has standard 15" steel wheels,
The thing that puzzels me is that the spare is a 14" steel wheel (Not a Spacesaver, a standard wheel)
She had a puncture and I had to change the wheel, and i noticed that the spare was different so I called our local vauxhall dealer when i noticed this to see if it was correct and I was told that I should not drive the car with different size wheels on the same axle as it is dangerous and Illegal.
So I took the punctured tyre to be changed and called in the garage to get the correct spare wheel for her car.
The bloke in the garage was helpful and looked like he ordered me a new wheel with the belief that i should get it a few days later.
After a week I had still not heard anything so I gave them a call and I was told in no uncertain terms that the spare I had was correct and they didn't understand what all the fuss was about.

Can I ask Is the spare correct?

What course of action would you take with the garage as they were the ones that spooked me about it originally?

Thanks for your help in advance

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Is the profile of the tyre on the spare any bigger? Could be a smaller wheel, but have a larger side walll profile giving the same overall diameter. A spare wheel is basically a get you to the nearest garage device - hence why space savers are *sort* of legal as a short term measure.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
The spare is correct.
I spotted this when I tried to buy a new one at Christmas (right up until they offered me 40% of my purchase price on mine at less than 3 years old, and not a penny off the new one).
I don't know why, neither do the salesmen, as my '03 has 185/55 15 alloys, and a cheap steel spare that is 185/55 15 as well so it isn't like there isn't the space for it.

It must just be penny pinching by Vauxhall.

Check the handbook. I bet it says not to drive fast or far on the spare.

(It also has heated mirrors that have disappeared from the new one supposedly to the same spec).

·
Are Your Buffalo Wings Spicy?
971 Posts
My missus has got the SRi Corsa ('54 plate) with 16" Alloys, yet the spare (not a spacesaver) is only 14". I had a right go at getting Vauxhall to change it for a 16" Spare, and going though channels such as the Police Transportation Department, and VOSA, I was told that the Spare Wheel (even though not a SpaceSaver) is only an 'emergency' wheel, and shouldnt be used for long distances.

Well, thats pissed me off tbh, because a SpaceSaver by law, must be painted red, and have a sticker which states the Max speed of 50mph. How can the regulations be so different for a Spare Wheel which isnt a SpaceSaver?

Well, to cut a long story short, I bought a 16" spare from a scrap yard for £10.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Actually, we're lucky Vauxhall supply a spare wheel at all.
When I looked at the Fiat Punto, they supply a can of sealant as standard, a spare wheel is an optional extra!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts