Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New to this forum. Hope someone can help. Is there such a thing as a parts list with exploded diagram for my Corsa D?

I usually source my own parts as well as do some casual maintenance when I have the time. Last MOT stated misting on the rear shock absorber.

I often source parts through well known auction sites. However, due to previous bad experiences, I no longer trust either their in-house parts checker or some sellers. Even some of the big online motor factors get it wrong from time to time. The hassle and inconvenience of having to return parts isn't worth it sometimes.

I've been searching for an online Corsa catalogue of parts so I can do my own cross referencing from OE to aftermarket. If there exists such a thing, then I would be very grateful if someone could advise.

Many thanks.

·
15,154 Posts
If you put your VIN into that site it shows you what is actually on your Corsa.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Ecat is pretty much the best one as other already have mentioned.

You can also get an "estimate" from a dealer.
If you do, dont throw it as the part numbers never change and just get updated which is still tracks to other cross reference numbers.
Mpower software
MAM SOFTWARE
Otherwise you may wish you have a tecdoc account.
Catcar.info is one some use at work.

If you have 100% correct part numbers. I may be able to help you.

My work stocks AL-KO shock absorbers.
Suplex springs.
Nissens radiators
Cre glow plugs
NK, ICER, Bremsen and fremax discs and pads.
Coopers fiam filters..
Euroflo exhausts.
Lucas timing kits..
Rymec clutches

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yes... I recall seeing this before now that you mention it. Thanks. The issue I had with this site was the description of some parts for one thing.

For example, there was some excessive play in one of the front struts, so I was looking to replace the top mount. I knew what the part looks like, but the matching description from the ecat site was "bearing,shock absorber". I've never heard of a top mount being referred to as a bearing before, so it threw me off a little.

When I started looking online for aftermarket parts, I got confused between "strut top mount" and "strut top mount repair kit" being the options. The part on the ecat website was one solid piece, but both the top mount and repair kit were multiple pieces, so I just lost confidence at that point. In both cases, there were at least 2 pieces in the aftermarket 'pack' versus the single piece as shown on the ecat site.

It's probably my lack of physical knowledge of the car that threw me, but compared to the sites I use for my Golf 5 and my Impreza bugeye, the ecat site is a little more vague than what I'm used to. Subaru are the best for this. All you need to know is the model and derivative, and there is one part, and one part only listed for each component. Even if the part was discontinued, it tells you the new part reference clear as day.

Looking at the rear suspension on the ecat site, things are a even less straightforward. There's a staggering 18 different shock absorbers to choose from apparently. No idea which is the right part for my car. All it mentions to denote a difference between each shocker is a 2 letter reference, which I have no idea what that relates to.

I found a very good deal on a set of Gabriel rear shockers. Apparently they are for my car (if you believe the parts checker on the site I'm buying from). However, when I went to the Gabriel site to cross-reference the part number, of course they don't list Opel or Vauxhall motors as Gabriel are based in the US.

Incidentally, I don't mind buying OE parts, but if the original parts have failed within a short distance covered or time period, I always like to go with quality aftermarket instead. In this case, I know from experience that Gabriel are on a par with Monroe, so I just need to be doubly sure the Gabriel part I've seen is the right one for my Corsa.

I had a similar issue with a Merc E Class recently when I needed rear springs, but at least Merc simplify matters by putting coloured dots on the actual springs which can easily be cross-referenced with aftermarket parts.

Anyway, I do appreciate your help. I'll try the VIN option and see if I come up with anything more definitive in my search.

I think by the end of this process I'll have put in 90% research time and 10% tool time!

Cheers!

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Oh yes... I recall seeing this before now that you mention it. Thanks. The issue I had with this site was the description of some parts for one thing.

For example, there was some excessive play in one of the front struts, so I was looking to replace the top mount. I knew what the part looks like, but the matching description from the ecat site was "bearing,shock absorber". I've never heard of a top mount being referred to as a bearing before, so it threw me off a little.

When I started looking online for aftermarket parts, I got confused between "strut top mount" and "strut top mount repair kit" being the options. The part on the ecat website was one solid piece, but both the top mount and repair kit were multiple pieces, so I just lost confidence at that point. In both cases, there were at least 2 pieces in the aftermarket 'pack' versus the single piece as shown on the ecat site.

It's probably my lack of physical knowledge of the car that threw me, but compared to the sites I use for my Golf 5 and my Impreza bugeye, the ecat site is a little more vague than what I'm used to. Subaru are the best for this. All you need to know is the model and derivative, and there is one part, and one part only listed for each component. Even if the part was discontinued, it tells you the new part reference clear as day.

Looking at the rear suspension on the ecat site, things are a even less straightforward. There's a staggering 18 different shock absorbers to choose from apparently. No idea which is the right part for my car. All it mentions to denote a difference between each shocker is a 2 letter reference, which I have no idea what that relates to.

I found a very good deal on a set of Gabriel rear shockers. Apparently they are for my car (if you believe the parts checker on the site I'm buying from). However, when I went to the Gabriel site to cross-reference the part number, of course they don't list Opel or Vauxhall motors as Gabriel are based in the US.

Incidentally, I don't mind buying OE parts, but if the original parts have failed within a short distance covered or time period, I always like to go with quality aftermarket instead. In this case, I know from experience that Gabriel are on a par with Monroe, so I just need to be doubly sure the Gabriel part I've seen is the right one for my Corsa.

I had a similar issue with a Merc E Class recently when I needed rear springs, but at least Merc simplify matters by putting coloured dots on the actual springs which can easily be cross-referenced with aftermarket parts.

Anyway, I do appreciate your help. I'll try the VIN option and see if I come up with anything more definitive in my search.

I think by the end of this process I'll have put in 90% research time and 10% tool time!

Cheers!
Gabriel are the best shocks on the market and are the first major brand of shock absorber.

Sachs is not bad

KYB
Bilstein is always nice for shocks
Koni has a goos reputation too.

Avoid ashika unless you're selling the car on right away.

Bmw is good like that. They have one named realOEM.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's good to know. At least I'm right in saying Gabriel make quality parts. And at less than £35 for a pair (inc. delivery), it could be a very good deal if it works out.

As far as I can tell, the Corsa shares suspension parts with some Fiat cars, hence the possible reason for Gabriel in the US listing Fiat parts as a cross-reference, as Fiat do have a market presence in the US.

The problem I have is that I don't know which Fiat shares shockers with my Corsa, so I'm still in the dark about that.

Incidentally, the Gabriel part reference is 69020, but I can't find a decent cross-reference outside autodoc's site that will conclusively tell me it will suit my Corsa. All I can tell from the description is that this part is standard suspension (not sports/lowered), which would be correct.

I don't have the car in my drive at the moment, but I'll dig out the V5 and check the VIN on the ecat site.

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
That's good to know. At least I'm right in saying Gabriel make quality parts. And at less than £35 for a pair (inc. delivery), it could be a very good deal if it works out.

As far as I can tell, the Corsa shares suspension parts with some Fiat cars, hence the possible reason for Gabriel in the US listing Fiat parts as a cross-reference, as Fiat do have a market presence in the US.
The problem I have is that I don't know which Fiat shares shockers with my Corsa, so I'm still in the dark about that.

Incidentally, the Gabriel part reference is 69020, but I can't find a decent cross-reference outside autodoc's site that will conclusively tell me it will suit my Corsa. All I can tell from the description is that this part is standard suspension (not sports/lowered), which would be correct.

I don't have the car in my drive at the moment, but I'll dig out the V5 and check the VIN on the ecat site.

Thanks.
Careful with autodoc. As you dont always get the genuine article.
They also run about 6 sites doing the same item and same part numbers with different prices.
One of my friends bought icer off them before. It came in a totally blue box. Which wasnt the ultra premium line of pads, which are usually in the white blue and yellow box. Also, it took 6 days to get.
They sell a brand named ridex which is like the comline of Germany. German brand, but made in china.

https://m.onlinecarparts.co.uk
https://m.buycarparts.co.uk
https://m.motor-doctor.co.uk
https://m.bestpartstore.co.uk
https://m.sparepartstore24.co.uk
https://m.autodoc.co.uk

Also, things like exhausts they wont usually deliver to the uk. Also hidden delivery charges occur at checkout.

I got the cross references from the warehouse computer just now.

I couldn't get them all, but got the main brands

BILSTEIN
19-158495
BOGE
27K26A
GABRIEL
33 22937 75348 2
KYB
MEYLE
MONROE
E1354
G1037
R2524
OPEL
SACHS
313 571
TRW
JGT471S
VAUXHALL
They come up as rear axle.

Fiat numbers are:

Also, gabriel shocks do not include accessories according to the database at work.

The reason why many components reference is cos car manufacturers are just assemblers these days. Everything goes in a box and gets restamped.
I had a bloke with an XJ Jag wanting trw pads. As trw are genuine for Jag these days. We didn't have them in stock, so then we have to listen to his wants for Brembo or Textar.
In the end he settled for Icer Ultra Premium.
After a week. He came back and wanted the same pads and a set of icer discs for his wifes Mini. Yet her brakes and pads were not needing a change. (He liked them icer pads a lot.). Lol

It keeps production costs right down to just use a tested part and rebox it with a different part number.
Volvo, range rover, bmw and aston martin all used the same water pumps and similar components about 12 years ago.
Even aston martin use volvo key fobs with just glue on the plastic with lever over it.
I'd still love a 2007 V8 Vantage though. Lol. I think the v8 is just a tuned up old jag engine too.

·
Premium Member
4,563 Posts
If you have 100% correct part numbers. I may be able to help you.

My work stocks AL-KO shock absorbers.
Suplex springs.
Nissens radiators
Cre glow plugs
NK, ICER, Bremsen and fremax discs and pads.
Coopers fiam filters..
Euroflo exhausts.
Lucas timing kits..
Rymec clutches
And I hope you'll be offering 50% discount to all vxon members :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to confirm, I'm not buying from autodoc. The actual seller has stated the Gabriel part number as 69020, and stated that it fits my car.

I was only using autodoc, as when I did a Google search for "Gabriel 69020", it was the only online retailer with a UK site that came up with a hit.

I've never bought from autodoc, but they are better than ECP for finding manufacturer's part numbers and cross-references. ECP have a habit of hiding this vital information, but at least I can reject them in-store at ECP when I go to collect parts (should they be wrong). I try to avoid ECP, as their pricing structure is constantly in flux, and you never know what you'll pay from one day to the next.

In any case, thanks for the list of parts. I did notice that the Monroe E1354 is a valid cross-reference part, but they range from more expensive to very very expensive! I will consider these only once I have exhausted my search for a Gabriel match. Or I may go for KYB 343459, as these are good shockers and I like the ease of their cross-reference catalogue.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and I've just had a really good crossreference match using the TRW catalogue, part ref JGT471T.

Apparently TRW have discontinued production of their part, but they say the Gabriel crossreference is for part 69020.

TWR are the only other manufacturer I could find that also state the open and closed lengths of the shockers, and these dimensions match the Gabriel shockers.

Autodoc want over £80 plus delivery for the TRW pair of shockers, so I'm going to bag the deal for the pair of Gabriel. Just hope they haven't been sitting on a shelf for eons!

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Oh, and I've just had a really good crossreference match using the TRW catalogue, part ref JGT471T.

Apparently TRW have discontinued production of their part, but they say the Gabriel crossreference is for part 69020.

TWR are the only other manufacturer I could find that also state the open and closed lengths of the shockers, and these dimensions match the Gabriel shockers.

Autodoc want over £80 plus delivery for the TRW pair of shockers, so I'm going to bag the deal for the pair of Gabriel. Just hope they haven't been sitting on a shelf for eons!

If you want. My work warehouse has brand new AL-KO and the stock has a constant cycle of new stock every week.
Everything comes with a warranty too.

I would certainly bag the deal for the Gabriel shocks though.

50521023 is the Alfa Romeo Part nunber for the Mito that crosses over too.

I use to use https://findpart.online and https://searchpart.online sadly they've switched the servers off at the end of December 2017.
Loads of online parts catalogue sites existed in 2015.
Even https://partsdb.info has beenbgone since 2016.
10 years the UK has been in a recession, i cant see how we're out of one when businesses still are folding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Noted for future reference thank you. I'm a big fan of reputable sources, especially when buying online.

Sort of unrelated, but what's your take on manufacturers making their own cheap (crap) and using copycat part numbers of reputable companies?

I once bought an exhaust that had a Klarius Timax part reference. It wasn't inexpensive, so I had full expectations that it was a genuine Klarius Timax part. When it arrived, looking at the poor quality welds I could tell it was copied garbage.

I took it up with the seller, but as you might expect, they said their advert never stated it was a genuine Klarius Timax part, and I should have called them to check. I don't know the law in full, but this seems like a scurrilous seller tactic to me.

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Noted for future reference thank you. I'm a big fan of reputable sources, especially when buying online.

sort of unrelated, but what's your take on manufacturers making their own cheap (crap) and using copycat part numbers of reputable companies?

I once bought an exhaust that had a Timex part reference. It wasn't that inexpensive, so I had full expectations that it was a genuine Timex part. When it arrived, looking at the poor quality welds I could tell it was garbage.

I took it up with the seller, but as you might expect, they said their advert never stated it was a genuine Timex part, and I should have called them to check. I don't know the law in full, but this seems like a scurrilous seller tactic to me.
Im unsure whom and where you purchased from.
Aftermarket exhausts can he very good value for money.
However, if someone was knocking out a klarius exhaust as a Bosal. I'd ve annoyed.
Most websites feature OEM/OEN numbers and the cross reference.
They should state what they're actually selling.
A cheap exhaust does not only have horrible welds, but softer metal too.

Usually i only buy Euroflo, Bosal or Eberspacher. Any other brands are usually poor.
If im desperate, EEC do OK stuff.
Really you cant beat a OE stainless steel exhaust. Should get lon service life from one of those.

Aftermarket OE is usually good. Its the private labels im cautious of.

If its a british firm like trupart. You can ve assured they're ok as they actually buy from OE supplers and restamp the parts.

Once you hear about these brands like "chase" or "solid auto". You have to question why cosra pads and discs all round are only £45.00
Even though they may just about scrape the ece compliance tests. Its better to have a higher quality part.

My chinese friend learnt the hard way with control arms and knuckles.
He never wanted to pay the money for good quality parts. He did 3000 miles and actually snapped a different part die to the other components taking unnecessary stress. Cost him a bomb to sort it in the long run.

With exhausts, a goopd brand will usually have a decent warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update...

Gabriel shockers have arrived. Although my suspicions have been raised for a few reasons...

1. Boxes are Gabriel and codes are as advertised, "69020". However, shockers themselves only have the code, "765543". The only other match I found online for this new code was for a used shock absorber being sold. Nothing on the shocker seems to suggest it is genuine Gabriel. What is this code "765543" relating to?

2. Also says on shocker, "MADE IN FRANCE 12 314" and "13 086" on the other. Does this suggest these are around 5 years old (12 and 13 being the manufacturing year)?

3. When I pump the shockers together to check the forces, I'm not getting the same return rate on both. One of them almost sticks completely around half way under zero load, but eventually fully opens.

Should I be worried about any of the above?

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Sounds like clearance stock.
However, manufacturing codes could just mean materials that are used internally.
If they dont return at the same rate, then that could be some concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. I'll return them in that case.

One took 30 seconds to fully open under zero load, and the other was still going after 10 minutes with another 30mm to go. I think it eventually took about 20 minutes to fully open.

Bummer. Was hoping for a bargain, but too good to be true.

What will a set of Monroe's set me back (inc. VAT & delivery)?

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
Thanks. I'll return them in that case.

One took 30 seconds to fully open under zero load, and the other was still going after 10 minutes with another 30mm to go. I think it eventually took about 20 minutes to fully open.

Bummer. Was hoping for a bargain, but too good to be true.

What will a set of Monroe's set me back (inc. VAT & delivery)?
My work place only has AL-KO in stock.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts