Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats everyone think of them?

im thinking of selling the cav to get a corsa redtop.want something with a little less miles than my cav (150k) and there cheap fun.
Plus the cav needs too much bodywork doing to get it mint again.(arches and roof repair after vandalism:turd :crying_2: )

id like to do it but i cant afford it which is a shame because theres only 89 gsi 4x4's left now.been offered 800 for it if i get it through an MOT.

i know somone with a corsa gsi which did have a redtop in whch went very well,proberly go even better now its got a LET in it lol.

so what do people think? are they easy enough to work on? ie cambelt changes arnt a ***** are they? or stuff like that......

id imagine they'd be alot better on petrol than the 100miles to 20quid im getting right now!

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi
At the end of the day the redtop is just an 8 valve block (reliable) with a 16 valve head (reliable) you can't go wrong all the 8 valve bits fit just fine like water pumps and stuff the timing belts are easy too just getting one thats been serviced is the hard part
regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
i've had quite a few xe's and they just give good power without probs. there's one in my corsa atm and even though its stood for a while i know that as long as the battery has the life it'll go 1st time. the only stuff that goes is the odd headgasket and water pump. they're also a lot easier to work on than the eco's.

·
ken boon
1,509 Posts
nova and corsa xe's offer very fast straight line perfomance per £ but handle like a bag of **** due the heavy front end.

my nova xe was really fast but wouldnt stop or go round corners without a struggle, also 95% of the ones for sale are shitters and have been bodged. i wouldnt be looking at spending any less than £2000 for a good one.

if you want the best of both worlds buy my astra, its done less than 150k as the xe was rebuilt 1300 miles ago, its handles stupidly well, is newer than a nova and will cost cosniderbly less than a nova or corsa xe to buy :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
nova and corsa xe's offer very fast straight line perfomance per £ but handle like a bag of **** due the heavy front end.
sorry mate but thats a load of cobblers. yes, if you just throw one in on 1.4 suspension its going to handle like a dog but so will any conversion thats only half done. any decent one will have a decent set-up on it and there's no reason why it shouldnt out handle astras, etc in the same way as there's no reason why an astra shouldnt out handle a cav.

·
ken boon
1,509 Posts
sorry mate but thats a load of cobblers. yes, if you just throw one in on 1.4 suspension its going to handle like a dog but so will any conversion thats only half done. any decent one will have a decent set-up on it and there's no reason why it shouldnt out handle astras, etc in the same way as there's no reason why an astra shouldnt out handle a cav.
have you owned one and driven one???

i have and know many who have too, mine was done properly and was a full on track car with toyo t1r tyres, coil-overs, fully braced and 6 point cage and it DID NOT handle.

it just had a massive tendancy to understeer even under part throttle, despite what you think i know that given the same stretch of road where i live locally i couldnt drive the nova anywhere near as fast through the twisties as i can with my current astra.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
have you owned one and driven one???
i do and have.

i have and know many who have too, mine was done properly and was a full on track car with toyo t1r tyres, coil-overs, fully braced and 6 point cage and it DID NOT handle.
it just had a massive tendancy to understeer even under part throttle, despite what you think i know that given the same stretch of road where i live locally i couldnt drive the nova anywhere near as fast through the twisties as i can with my current astra.
so what you're saying is that, despite throwing a fortune at it, you couldnt get a lighter car with the same or less weight at the front to go round a bend?
if thats the case there must be something very wrong with how it was set up. i also know a lot of people that say the same after driving bolted-together conversions but there are a few out there that have driven properly set-up ones.
also, if you're getting understeer on part throttle, how much more throttle/quicker do you think you'll be coming out of corners in an astra (remembering an astra will need more throttle to pull the extra weight).
if, genuinely, astra's were better at taking the power (god knows what physics you've been reading to think that) then what would be the point in having an astra and taking all the weight out (as in an astra track car).
basically, if you have sir Rannulph Feinnes toes, a pair of steel toecaps on and happen to have a nasty twitch in the knee then the extra weight could help but lets face it - 150bhp REALLY isnt that much to control. its not like there's a big bang in the power curve to catch you out either so i dont see the problem? do you really think a car has reached its chassis' limit when you have to feather the throttle out of corners?

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Dont forget James a corsa or nova will be a conversion (obviously) so unless you do all the work yourself you'll know very little about the history/mileage of engine ect used if your worried about high mileage.Might be better off building your own as there are loads of bodged ones about and proberbly quite a few with nicked engines ect in them.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
I know where there is a very nice one with quite a few extras a redtop that is
regards
Steve

·
ken boon
1,509 Posts
i do and have.

so what you're saying is that, despite throwing a fortune at it, you couldnt get a lighter car with the same or less weight at the front to go round a bend?
if thats the case there must be something very wrong with how it was set up. i also know a lot of people that say the same after driving bolted-together conversions but there are a few out there that have driven properly set-up ones.
also, if you're getting understeer on part throttle, how much more throttle/quicker do you think you'll be coming out of corners in an astra (remembering an astra will need more throttle to pull the extra weight).
if, genuinely, astra's were better at taking the power (god knows what physics you've been reading to think that) then what would be the point in having an astra and taking all the weight out (as in an astra track car).
basically, if you have sir Rannulph Feinnes toes, a pair of steel toecaps on and happen to have a nasty twitch in the knee then the extra weight could help but lets face it - 150bhp REALLY isnt that much to control. its not like there's a big bang in the power curve to catch you out either so i dont see the problem? do you really think a car has reached its chassis' limit when you have to feather the throttle out of corners?
i didnt set the car up so maybe like you say it wasnt a properly set up one but then how many are??? i owned it 3 weeks and like i say it didnt handle nor have quite a few of the ones ive been a passenger in, i dont read physics so maybe thats the problem.

no 150bhp isnt a lot but who said mine was 150 bhp? i dont know how much power it had, the chap i bought it off never said, the fact it idled like a pig and revved to 8000rpm proberly meant it had a bit more than standard. i do miss the car in so many ways as it was so much fun but i dont miss the handling i could never get on with it.

thats just my opinion and you have yours but then you do drive a datsun :shake

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
i didnt set the car up so maybe like you say it wasnt a properly set up one but then how many are??? i owned it 3 weeks and like i say it didnt handle nor have quite a few of the ones ive been a passenger in, i dont read physics so maybe thats the problem.
so you had a "full on track car" but only for 3 weeks? and it had coilovers but you didnt bother to set them up?

no 150bhp isnt a lot but who said mine was 150 bhp? i dont know how much power it had, the chap i bought it off never said, the fact it idled like a pig and revved to 8000rpm proberly meant it had a bit more than standard. i do miss the car in so many ways as it was so much fun but i dont miss the handling i could never get on with it.
so you got a car that "idled like a pig" and never questioned it - OR why it revved to 8krpm?
if it hadnt got throttle bodies then it would struggle to get past 180bhp anyway and it'd have to have very lumpy cams for that which means it would probably be even less difficult to get the power down.

thats just my opinion and you have yours but then you do drive a datsun :shake
says it all really. i drive a lot of cars and bikes mate but none are a datsun. even if i did it would be a 300+bhp RWD datsun so why the headshake when you're desperate to peddle an astra with half that (and yes - i've got a nitrous kit too so dont bother going on about "the gas") :lmao:

·
ken boon
1,509 Posts
was that a backpedal i saw?
backpedal? i dont ride a bicycle? and if i did ride a bike it would be impossible for you to see as your miles away

as for my nova, i only kept it 3 weeks as it wasnt an ideal car to use on the road having no dash or heater matrix.

i never touched the suspension as i got the car cheap and sold it on in 3 weeks to make profit so i never questioned anything about the car, it was without a doubt a non standard xe as ive had 5 now and that was the most bonkers!

i had my fun in it and made money so i was happy. i just never liked the handling.

and yes your car may have 300bhp but when its blows up which 300 zx's usually do it will cost you a fortune, when and if my astra ever blew up it would cost me feck all!

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
edited from that
backpedal? i dont ride a bicycle?
by adding this lot
and if i did ride a bike it would be impossible for you to see as your miles away

as for my nova, i only kept it 3 weeks as it wasnt an ideal car to use on the road having no dash or heater matrix.

i never touched the suspension as i got the car cheap and sold it on in 3 weeks to make profit so i never questioned anything about the car, it was without a doubt a non standard xe as ive had 5 now and that was the most bonkers!

i had my fun in it and made money so i was happy. i just never liked the handling.

and yes your car may have 300bhp but when its blows up which 300 zx's usually do it will cost you a fortune, when and if my astra ever blew up it would cost me feck all!
fair enough - Z's can break and yes, they DO cost a fortune when they do. having 2 and a spare engine helps though - as does being able to fix them myself. on the other side of it, if you tried to get the astra to keep up it either wouldnt or it'd eat itself a lot faster than the Z due to having a load of nitrous down it.
but what about the 300bhp BMW which will still be going long after your astra's rusted away? or what about my corsa which is like a smaller, newer version of your astra (and, incidently WILL go round corners)?
you say you've had 5 XE's? i must have had 5 times that and a lot of them havent been standard but none have idled like a pig. some a little higher than others (on really beefy cams) but none badly. thats just poor set up.
also you're talking about a nova which needs a bit more work than the corsa to handle the extra weight properly. and then there's the rust factor that WILL affect most nova's (and a lot of corsas) which loses structural strength and makes them feel horrible to drive.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.