Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've been trying to set up my 2002 1.2 sxi gear linkage as it's been getting harder to get into second lately.
But I can't get the 4.5mm drill position right, I've checked the only plastic plug on the selector tower but that's a blind hole.

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43bb0727z260508e6/9f4fre2/__sr_/e114re2.jpg?ph4uE.EBR7.ZDeep

is this the right place???

"this could be used as a tutorial

right
jack up the car front and put axel stands under
open the bonnet and on the gear selctor tower "sticky up bit on the gear box" on the part thats facing the bulkhead there is a little round plastic plug.
pull it out
then get a 4.5mm drill bit and insert it into the hole while twisting the gear linkage "get a mate to jiggle the gear stick side to side a little"
it will slide in .5mm more when it set in and the linkage will now be locked.

then get under the car lie near the rear gearbox mount and look up you will see a clamp next to a rubber gaitor and a 13mm bolt.
undo this.
then inside the car unclip the gear gaitor and on the left hand side of the stick there is a hole line this up with the hole just below it and show another drill bit in that fits.

get back under the car and tighten the bolt you undid.
remove the dril bit from the gear stick, then the one from the gearbox.
put the plastic plug back in and clip the gear gaitor back on
lower the car

and all your gears should go straight in.

i have just done this and it works"

G

·
That works on older cars, not tried on one as modern as yours.
Have you tried setting it both in nuetral, and all way to left?
Can't be too many choices to experiment with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem is that I can't find the access point to the selector at the gearbox end, so can't lock it in place.
The gear lever in the car is easy to lock as the lever just has to line up with a hole in the surround.

G

·
Ah sorry, thought you were on about stick end...
SHould be near the top, and towards back, near where linkage goes into box. Be a little black or orange plug to pull out (if like older ones).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's what I've been told....but can't find anything on mine that matches that description.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, I have a severe engine oil leak problem on my Corsa 1.2 1997 petrol. Someone told me that the rubber bung underneath and to the right of the engine oil filter is the source of the leak. I unberstand also that Vauxhall don't sell this bung unless it is attached to an engine? Q does any one out there know where I can get a new rubber bung for this oil leak. Cheers .Aseptic...

·
Registered
257 Posts
to setup the gear linkage

Undo the T45 pinch bolt on the gear linkage to selector rod,
on the front of the gear selector housing (radiator side) you'll see a little plunger, this has to pushed in but you have to turn the gear linkage one way for it to engage competely.

Remove the gear lever gaiter inside the car then you'll see a hole on the lever that you put a 4mm pin through which locates in another hole unerneith it (push the gear lever over to the left in between 1st and 2nd gear) then insert the pin and this will lock the gear shift lever.

Check the plunger pin is still pushed in, now tighten up the T45 pinch bolt all should now work perfect unless the gear linkage is worn out which is a very common fault on coras. A repair kit is available from dealers for around £40

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts

on the front of the gear selector housing (radiator side) you'll see a little plunger, this has to pushed in but you have to turn the gear linkage one way for it to engage competely.

Remove the gear lever gaiter inside the car then you'll see a hole on the lever that you put a 4mm pin through which locates in another hole unerneith it (push the gear lever over to the left in between 1st and 2nd gear) then insert the pin and this will lock the gear shift lever.

Check the plunger pin is still pushed in, now tighten up the T45 pinch bolt all should now work perfect unless the gear linkage is worn out which is a very common fault on coras. A repair kit is available from dealers for around £40

good luck
Thanks for the tip, how long do you think it should take? I'm not an expert

·
AstraG, AstraH, Astra conv.turbo, Corsa D, XKR
319 Posts
Just done it on a 2002 1.0 litre which was baulking at first and second gear selection. Took me about 15 mins. Gearchange now perfect. If you buy the Haynes manual it gives full instructions and a few black & white pics. On my car the pinch bolt on the gear lingage needed a star shaped socket (T45) about same size as the one you need for the sump drain plug - whereas Haynes pic shows standard hex bolt head. Best to check before getting too oily...

Tighten gear linkage bolt to 9 lb/ft then again by 225 degrees ( a full three quarters of a turn)

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, im having problems with my 1.2 sxi 04 plate corsa.i cant get it into 1st and second gear without lifting up the the gear knob which is normally only used for reverse! any ideas

·
Registered
35 Posts

good luck
Just wanted to say thanks.

I went out and did this in my lunch hour. It didn't go smoothly the first time and I ended up with gears 3,4,5 and 1st where reverse should be! It turns out that I didn't have the yellow button in the right place; that button goes RIGHT in, there's no mistake when it does so eventually.

All the gears are now easy to find, I'd been fighting with it on the way in this morning (wife's car, MOT on mine today).

Cheers

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just did this. here's my tips

It's not a T45 , it's a T50 or T55, The largest I had was a T45 and I knew it was to small, but after reading this I decided to give it a go. It can be done with a T45 but it chews up the star socket on the bolt head, but it can be done nonetheless. I advise if you have time to prepare you buy a T50.

The pin does go in all the way when it does finally go in don't mistake this for only going in a quarter way in cos then you get no reverse.

I noticed on mine when I did it first time the 1st gear was still a bit stiff to get into so I decided to tweak it a little. Here's what I did the second time.

• Locked the gear stick
  • slackened the T50
  • wiggle the selector and push in the pin. I do this from the top of the engine, right hand on the pin, left hand behind the rear of the engine grab the selector plastic lever and move it to the left until pin goes in.
  • keep the pin pressed in while someone else pulls out the 5mm drill bit but don't move the gear stick don't pull the drill bit all the way out, slowly move the gear stick towards 3rd gear just enough so you can see the hole in the black plastic, drop the 5mm drill bit back down into the white plastic hole. Pull the gear stick back towards 1st gear until the drill bit hits the black plastic. Now the gear stick will be 4mm towards the 3rd gear position from where the locked position would have been.
  • Tighten the T50
  • Release the pin by selecting reverse.

Now you are done and your 1st gear will be easy to select because you fine-tuned a further 3mm of travel into the mechanism. Worked for me. The point to remember is you only have to do this if after doing it normally you still have a slightly stiff 1st gear. It was a lot better than I had been driving around with but I felt it was worth a try to improve it some more.

Also don't replace the whole selector mechanism with the steel plate thing costing 40 quid until you have tried this method, maybe one day our selectors will break and we will need the metal plate, but if it is only stiff 1st & 2nd gears, then you probably will only need to do this re-aligning thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts