Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just joined here.
I have the above car with a snapped timing chain!.
Could someone send me a video link on the process of removal and repair of the timing chain. I have a Haynes manual which seems to miss out loads of info on this job. So far I have removed the Cat which joins onto the exhaust ( very hard to get access to) and the Turbo unit, both located at the front of the engine. Any links or info would be most welcome. Thanks John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone tell me how to remove the timing chain cover. I have removed all the bolts holding the cover on and have removed the sump pan. The cover is loose but is being held in place by the oil strainer in the sump, does anyone know how to remove this. Can't find any vids on it. Cheers

·
Worn Out Member
9,790 Posts
You need to remove the lower and upper sump to remove the oil pump suction pipe,
are you doing this on a ramp ?
if not,looking at the instructions it looks easier to remove the engine and strip it on the bench,
or even better on an engine rotisserie

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi thanks for your reply. I am doing it outside with the front wheels on blocks to give me access to underneath not ideal but it's ok. I have the sump pan off and all the bolts off the timing chain cover. The cover is loose but being held on by the curved oil strainer in the sump?. The video I have just looked at shows the oil strainer is attached to the timing chain cover so it all comes of together. The timing chain has snapped so i'm wondering if the chain has dropped down and is preventing me from removing the cover. Don't know how to do a link on here but the video is on, ILYAZ TV Opel Engine timing cover gasket replacement. Thanks let me know what you think. John

·
Worn Out Member
9,790 Posts
Have you removed the upper oil pan as well as the lower ?

Slope Font Auto part Engineering Parallel

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that's the video. Clearly shows the front cam chain cover being removed by just removing the sump pan. The upper pan is tricky to remove especially with limited access underneath.
Thought the oil strainer was metal but it turns out it's actually plastic. When the sump was removed I found some hard pieces of plastic in the oil, looks like pieces from the oil strainer and the cam chain guides. Anyone know where I can get a new oil strainer from, it's the same as the one in the video above. Thanks John

·
Worn Out Member
9,790 Posts
Yes that's the video. Clearly shows the front cam chain cover being removed by just removing the sump pan. The upper pan is tricky to remove especially with limited access underneath.
I reckon that's because you're doing it in situ and he's on a rotisserie,
i can't see you getting enough clearance forward of the front cover to allow the angle needed to remove it without first removing the upper pan.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I reckon that's because you're doing it in situ and he's on a rotisserie,
i can't see you getting enough clearance forward of the front cover to allow the angle needed to remove it without first removing the upper pan.
Yes I'm afraid your right. The strainer looks to be damaged so I will need a new one, the chain has probably caused the damage after it broke. Next job is the top of the engine to see what has broken. Will post some pics of what I find. John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts