Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a few problems with my 08 plate Corsa I got used from a Vauxhall garage 3 weeks ago ...

Every morning without fail when I get in the car no matter how hard I try when I put it in reverse to get off the drive the gear crunches. It only does it in the morning (I guess when the car has been standing for several hours)

And the breaks grind badly when the car is cold but once it has been running a while they seem better (but still grind)

I have taken it to a Vauxhall garage (not the same one I got it from as it's quite a distance from my house and the other one is closer) and they have said the gear crunches because it needs the 'gear linking' replaced ... any ides what that is??? Is it anything major and is it likely to fix the problem???

And the breaks are rusty but apparently that's 'nothing to worry about' they said they burnt some of the rust off by holding down the break peddle - but it still grinds. When I said the breaks don't seem very responsive and I'm worried the rust is stopping the breaks working properly his answer was 'well break harder' :rolleyes: yeah I'll slam my breaks on every time I come to a slow stop! ... should I be worried about rusty breaks, should I demand they replace them as I've had it like 3 weeks and it is covered by the Network Q warranty which covers breaks (but apparently not rust as the garage pointed out) i'd also like to point out I've done around 1000 miles so far and they still grind so I can't see it'll wear away

HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi, breaks grind only when they need replacing, could be the disks or pads, as for the gears crunching, regardless of distance i would take it back to where ya got it and wouldnt let them fob me off with any crap, all brakes rust but grinding not good, if ya a women take a man with ya or they will just fob ya off, if ya a guy stand up for ya self and demand it sorted or ya want ya money back, dont pay for anything mending, 3 weeks, they having a laugh, dont get fobbed off, if they give ya crap tell them ya dont want it, shouldnt be any probs for years on a new car, let alone 3 weeks,

·
Yawn.
2016 Focus ST-3 & 2021 Hyundai i20N
13,813 Posts
Did you bed the Brakes in correctly? This may be a factor towards poor performance if you didn't...

Rust is inevitable - Brakes are made from Ferrous Materials, they Rust - They get Hot and Cold rapidly, this also affects how quickly rust forms - it's not unusual to get some rusting from an overnight period - heck, its even possible to happen in an hour if conditions allow

Does the grinding stop after a few stops?

As for Gear Linkage, it probably needs adjusting, unless it is damaged

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they have told me the gear linkage needs replacing, it doesn't stop grinding after a few stops but it does get quieter. I have taken it to a different garage for a second opinion, they have told me the break discs were rusted where the car must have been sat for a long time before I bought it because you can see the shape of the pad on the disc where it rusted around it, he cleanded it off a bit and it seems better. He told me the pads and discs looked to be pretty much brand new under the rust and that they aren't dangerous.

·
Registered
16 Posts
grinding of the brakes is usually down to shot pads, shoes, disks or drums being dead, if you've been driving it and you can still see where the pads have been while it's been sat take it back to net Q and ask them to replace the disks, if your car was eligable for MOT it would fail on excessive pitting.

take it for a run on some quite roads and get the brakes working if the pad mark is still visable the disks need replacing.

as for the grinding that is normally down to the clutch not being totally disengaged, try pressing the pedal to the floor when going for reverse, if your getting revers its highly doubtfull the linkage is worn.

·
Well-Known User.
4,290 Posts
It's a 2008 car..... If I had purchased an '08 car, from Vauxhall, and I thought it was not right it would be back on their forecourt before you could say "What's the phone number for trading standards?"
Surface rust on the brake discs is nothing to worry about, if you can still see the shape of the pad's after the drive to the original dealership, then I would say that is something to worry about.
Grinding when going into reverse is something a new car should not do...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well when I spoke to the Vauxhall garage I got it from they didn't seem that interested in getting the car in, you would of thought as I've only had it 3 weeks they would of tried to get it in asap but instead I got told 'well we can fit it in the week after next' ... great. thanks.

I'll let my local Vauxhall garage do the gear linkage as that should be done this coming week, I'll see if that helps the crunching of reverse gear but as for the breaks, so far the 2 garages that have seen it have said its just rust and nothing to worry about and totally normal as after breaking a few times it gets quieter, which is true but but you can still hear it and it is really loud again when the car has been left to stand for more than about 6 hours and I don't know anyone's else who has that happen with their car so it can't be 'normal' and I want the breaks replaced ideally, I just can't see them doing that :shame: any suggestions???

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How about f*ck you, at what point did I say I planned on paying for anything? it's 3 weeks old - i'm not stupid enough to pay for anything. Oh and for the record - i'm actually a guy not a girl so go fu*k yourself.
Back to the topic at hand, I think I'll contact the garage tomorrow that I got it from and kick off a bit, hopefully they can have a look at it this week, I'll explain I want the brakes replaced (free of charge for the benefit of Linden)

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,886 Posts
HI kicking off doesn't achieve much except putting peoples backs up - i recommend you make a list of the problems you feel you have with the car - hand it in to the service department - with the foot note -
'please contact me for any work not covered by warrenty'
this way you won't get a bill when you arrive back to collect the car
when you get back make sure they go through the list and explain in detail what they have done to rectify the faults that you have raised - then ask them to sign the list and if they need to write the reasons why they feel the faults were not rectified and sign that too - re the brakes - ask them to produce a MOT brake test printout as you have concerns - this way you will have some reassurance of the power of the brakes
regards
Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Chris

I had a Corsa D and my Discs got rusty as djgritt said above. The rust shouldn't affect your braking, and any grinding should stop after a few miles. On a side note I got a phone call from my garage the other day saying there was a recall out for the ABS/Brakes to receive some sort of upgrade. Perhaps worth checking to see if yours is eligible ?

The Irony is that I got rid of my Corsa in September lol, and the garage that phoned me were the ones I got my new Astra from... typical...:lmao:

As for kicking off ? true not adviseable but I can't say it was unprovoked....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't mean kicking off as in causing a scene and throwing things! lol just as in being firm with what I want (expect) them to do - ie replace the breaks, yes the grinding does get quieter after a few miles but it doesn't go completely and then if I let it sit overnight it comes back very loud the next morning, I've done over 1000 miles since I've had it and it still does it so surelyt if it was just down to rust it would of worn off by now? And thanks ASM1 i'll look into that recall :)

·
Well-Known User.
4,290 Posts
The rust will re-appear even if they put a full set of new brakes on. It's just surface rust. Moisture in the air settles on the metal disks, because they are not painted or otherwise protected they get covered in surface rust. This can happen virtually straight away in the right conditions and is perfectly normal, you can not prevent it from happening unless you coat the disks in wd-40 and, obviously, that 'ain't a good idea!!!!
The noise you hear is the pad's cutting through that surface rust, this is how they are designed to work, it's normal. It probably sounds loud because your car is new and has not developed all of the usual noises, such as whines, groans, clunks and other assorted sounds which would normally mask this noise, also, you don't get much in the way of sound insulation in a Corsa, perhaps you should of purchased a more luxurious mode of transport!!?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The rust will re-appear even if they put a full set of new brakes on. It's just surface rust. Moisture in the air settles on the metal disks, because they are not painted or otherwise protected they get covered in surface rust.
When i was off sick from work last week, my astra didnt move for 4 days and the discs all rusted up within a day or so, however are a short drive they soon looked shiny again and there were no lasting impressions. So on the brakes front id say there is something wrong there.

Re the gear crunching. I have driven two corsas as courtesy cars and both of them (one a 56 plate 1.2 and the other was an 08 plate 1.3cdti) crunched when going into reverse. How hard i tried for it not to crunch, they did. So it seems the new corsa has some sort of issue on that front. As an opposite. how every hard you try, my astra never crunches going into reverse!

As for standing up for yourself, its all very well these people saying take so and so with you etc etc - some people are naturally quiet and not forceful and thats the way it is. So lets just help the OP rather than trying to slag them off.

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
stop been a wuss and ya mad if ya pay for anything mending on a car ya got 3 week ago.....................typical women, send ya boyfriend or husband down instead 4 results
Kno8. I bet you're the sort that kicks dogs. :rolleyes:

OT;
I think you should write it all down and go down, explain every fault with it and say you will expect it to come out in the condition it should be in. Also explain that if its not satisfactory this time you'll consider talking to trading standards and returning it as its not up to the standard you would expect when buying such a new car. There's no need to be funny with them or moan/etc. Just state what you want and what you expect calmly. Try to come to the agreement that YOU want with the dealer but if he doesn't get it how you want it be prepared to say something along the lines of "sorry but its not good enough so here are your keys".
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, it's booked in Saturday to have the breaks looked at, it may be just surface rust and just me being picky but it grinds EVERY time I use the breaks, it's just particularly loud in the mornings, surely it should stop grinding after a few miles and be completely silent?

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
thanks guys, really appreciate the advice, it's booked in Saturday to have the breaks looked at, it may be just surface rust and just me being picky but it grinds EVERY time I use the breaks, it's just particularly loud in the mornings, surely it should stop grinding after a few miles and be completely silent?
The grinding noise your hearing when brakeing is caused by the material the pads are made out of. There is a big problem with this and if you phone VX HQ they will get you to book your car into VX dealer for a pad change. i had mine replaced for the exact same reason and it done **** all.
Check this website and you will see for yourself

http://www.talkingmotors.com/misc/content/26295.html?task=view

dont think that link works to good but hear is another one regarding the breaks
http://ukcorsa-d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5384

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.