Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my Corsa D petrol has started to chug when I ease off or or push on the accelerator. Am I correct in thinking the plugs need changing? Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the coil pack, however I would not change nothing without a code scan etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I should also mention that my clutch has a burning smell when I reverse uphill into my garage. I asked my mechanic neighbour and he says as long as it's engaging and biting (which it is) not to worry. Therefore I assume it isn't a clutch problem?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I should also mention that my clutch has a burning smell when I reverse uphill into my garage. I asked my mechanic neighbour and he says as long as it's engaging and biting (which it is) not to worry. Therefore I assume it isn't a clutch problem?
two seperate issues.

Take the plugs out and have a look. take a picture if you dont know what its supposed to look like.

always check battery earths and clean terminals.

to test the clutch, park clear of any other cars, hand brake on, foot on the brake and then try pulling off in second gear... if the car stalls its probably fine.

its probably likely the burning smell is bad driving if you only smell it in reverse gear....

;-)

also check the airfilter and fuel filter...if they're due for renewal, might as well replace anyway.

·
Premium Member
16,227 Posts
The springs in the coil packs corrode for fun. Check they are not corroded. Pretty sure you can buy replacements for them.

·
13,343 Posts
Amazon sell them.

Reactions: nmfeb70

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, so I've checked the plugs and coil pack and there are rust marks on the inside of the connectors and rust deposit on top of a couple of the plugs which I assume means replacing the coil pack? How much should I pay for a decent coil pack? They vary from £30 to over £100 online. Many Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, so I've checked the plugs and coil pack and there are rust marks on the inside of the connectors and rust deposit on top of a couple of the plugs which I assume means replacing the coil pack? How much should I pay for a decent coil pack? They vary from £30 to over £100 online. Many Thanks.
You should get one the right money of the Bay ...just make sure it's the right one for your car ...

if your unsure it will work ( fit ) email the seller before you buy and ask...

hope this helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi again, this is where I am in regards to this thread.The title reads 'missing' but it is more like a shudder. I have changed the coil pack, plugs and air filter but my Corsa still shudders when I accelerate after shifting into a higher gear. It also does this when I try to pick up speed after easing off the throttle. It is also losing power and today would just about reverse into my garage which is on a slight gradient.
I am now beginning to think it is an exhaust problem because it has started to blow and there is a rattling under the bonnet and underneath the car when it struggles.. Are all these the symptoms of an exhaust or manifold leak? I intend to take it to my regular exhaust guy over the weekend. Thanks again guys, you're advice is always invaluable and appreciated.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi again, this is where I am in regards to this thread.The title reads 'missing' but it is more like a shudder. I have changed the coil pack, plugs and air filter but my Corsa still shudders when I accelerate after shifting into a higher gear. It also does this when I try to pick up speed after easing off the throttle. It is also losing power and today would just about reverse into my garage which is on a slight gradient.
I am now beginning to think it is an exhaust problem because it has started to blow and there is a rattling under the bonnet and underneath the car when it struggles.. Are all these the symptoms of an exhaust or manifold leak? I intend to take it to my regular exhaust guy over the weekend. Thanks again guys, you're advice is always invaluable and appreciated.
Look at this ..

Try running it and then un plug the MAF if still runs but like a crap the you know the mass air flow is bad
and you need a new one or scond hand ...

you could even try cleaning the mass air flow first with spray .. ( but don't touch the inside of it at all )

use this

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look at this ..

Try running it and then un plug the MAF if still runs but like a crap the you know the mass air flow is bad
and you need a new one or scond hand ...

you could even try cleaning the mass air flow first with spray .. ( but don't touch the inside of it at all )

use this
I think that might have done the trick. I gave it a good spray clean and it seems fine now. Thanks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, so the car was fine for a couple of weeks after cleaning the MAF but the same problem has arisen,
so I'm thinking I need to change the MAF. Easier said than done. When I cleaned it recently, the side which connects to the air filter came off easily but I simply couldn't shift it from the other side to remove it completely. I had to spray clean it from one side only which I was told would be fine. It would twist around but not pull off despite herculean efforts (I was afraid to pull any harder for fear of breaking something). Is there a method or trick to remove it or just a matter of brute strength? Thanks.

·
Worn Out Member
6,193 Posts
A lot of the MAF's are just inserts and held in with 2 screws,so no need to remove the complete housing to change,

like this
s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Aaah...thank you very much! And there I was, sweating profusely trying to remove the whole thing! Many Thanks.

·
13,343 Posts
But they are typically held in with torx security screws so bear that in mind if you do need to remove the sensor.

Reactions: Drew101

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ok, so the car was fine for a couple of weeks after cleaning the MAF but the same problem has arisen,
so I'm thinking I need to change the MAF. Easier said than done. When I cleaned it recently, the side which connects to the air filter came off easily but I simply couldn't shift it from the other side to remove it completely. I had to spray clean it from one side only which I was told would be fine. It would twist around but not pull off despite herculean efforts (I was afraid to pull any harder for fear of breaking something). Is there a method or trick to remove it or just a matter of brute strength? Thanks.
You could try cleaning it again ..

like take MAF off again and spray good it 5 or 6 times leave it to dry then spray it again big time.. ..

Let dry for 20 minutes then refit it back on the car and see ...

i had to do mine twice as my MPG went right down to 17mpg .. the first time i did it i was only getting batting about town 27 miles to gallon ..
tool it back off and really gave it a good 5 or 6 big sprays ( and the housing ) ..

refitted it after drying for half hr and the MPG went up to 31.7 mpg ...its been like this 31.7mpg now for about three months and never moved rock solid..

is the air filter new ? ..if not fit a new one as well

Other then this it looks like you need a new MAF

Good look

1 - 20 of 25 Posts