Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

One month ago, i had an issue with my ECU because of water damage : when the car was running, it was not possible to reach more than 1500 Rpm and sometimes i got an ''F'' on the dashboard which appears randomly.
I bought a new ECU which was programmed with the data of the damaged one.

When plugin this new ECU yesterday, nothing happened : still the letter ''F'' on the dashboard and no possibility to start the car... So i used my OpCom to see whats happening and i got the results below (which confirms the ''F'' on the dashboard) :

I then checked if the ECU was supplied based on this sheme :

I didnt get +12V on pins 5 and 6 so i checked the relay R9 as shown and bridged it. I finally got the +12V on pin 5 and 6 but the problem remains the same.

I think the ECU is fine because i just received it from a specialized supplier / programmer. However i don't know what to do more. If you have some advices to give it would be very great.

Thanks a lot ?

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Check these fuses, they should have battery voltage on both sides,.. F6, F17, F18, F20 and F21, all in the fuse box in your picture.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Andyl,

Thanks for replying. I will check these fuse and see if i got 12V.
I'll tell you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK.
When R9 is bridged i got 12V on the fuses you told me to check. Except on F17 and F20.

When R9 is not bridged i got nothing there.

However, the slot 6 was empty (no fuse there). I put one there just to check but i didnt get 12V...

I rechecked of i still had 12V on the pin 5 and 6 and i have no more... I am a bit confused...

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
How are you bridging the relay, which pins are you bridging, what pins on the relay have battery voltage and what about fuse 6 is there power to the fuse, same as fuse 20, do these have power WITHOUT the relay bridged, leave the relay in place and test the fuses, you should have battery voltage both sides of the fuse.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Andy,

Thanks for replying. Please find below the default configuration with bridge on R9 (and empty slot 6).

I will do the same with the relay in place of the bridge and give the results. Please note that the ECU is not connected now and that i have checked again the voltage on pin 5 and 6 and i got around 300mV.

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Testing with the ecu removed will give false results.
You need to put the ecu back in the car, this provides the ground to the ecu relay, just plug it back in,theres no need to fit it back under the scuttle, plugging it in will do,..then test all the fuses and replace any that are missing/damaged and then see what happens. You should just check for battery voltage at BOTH sides of the fusewith the ignition ON, any fuse holders in the fuse box that have metal terminals in the fuse box where the fuse fits should have a fuse in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Andy,

Ok i will redo the testing with the ECU in place tomorrow and give the results.

''You should just check for battery voltage at BOTH sides of the fusewith the ignition ON, any fuse holders in the fuse box that have metal terminals in the fuse box where the fuse fits should have a fuse in. ''

--- you mean that i should put fuse in all the empty fuse holder ? ---

Please find what i got without the ECU in place but with R9 - i did all these tests with ignition ON and the configuration below is the default one (i never change anything in this fuse box and the car was running before the issue with the ECU like that) :

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At any case it is strange that fuse holder 6 was empty because as far as i know it is related to ECU... I will put a fuse there and see what happen...

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
The thing is the ecu sends a ground to the engine ecu relay when the ignition is switched on, this relay in turn powers fuses and the ecu itself all in an instance so testing with the system half taken apart will give you false readings, in nearly every case of a water damaged ecu on one of these you will find a blown fuse that powers the ecu relay or ecu its self, the correct way to diagnose is with the 'new' ecu in place.
Is the ecu brand new or second hand (new).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is the ecu brand new or second hand (new).
It is a second hand ECU that was checked and programmed by a specialized seller. So i assume that the ECU is OK (this one i one year guaranteed).

I sent the old ECU to them : this one was rusty and i got this default (that was not possible to clear - with car/spanner on the dashboard and no possibility to go above 1500RPM) on OpCom :

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
P060B Replace Electronic Control unit. Take from that what you will but if it was water damaged then its probably beyond repair.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok i did the voltages testing with ECU in place (no bridge ion R9). I got these results :

Fuses are ok.

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
And if you back probe the wires at the ecu plugs do you have power and grounds at the relevant pins.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And if you back probe the wires at the ecu plugs do you have power and grounds at the relevant pins.

Hi Andy,

I did the tests today.

When R9 is not bridged (default) :

When R9 is bridged :

All the voltage measurements were done with the earth taken on the - of battery, with ignition on... As far as i understood, the ECU should be properly supplied when R9 is bridged ?

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Yes, it should also be properly supplied when the ecu is plugged in and the ignition is switched on, what do you get by back probing the pins. With it all back together do you get an EML or Car/spanner light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello Andy

Sorry for replying late.

I back probed the ECU as you advised : the ECU is well supplied. The ECU i got from the supplier was not OK : i resent it to him and i am waiting another one.

During this time i put the original ECU back in, and i could run the car (1500 RPM max) proving that the new ECU was nok.
I'll tell you once i receive a new part...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts