Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member - and I know nothing about cars, ha. My car identifies as a he - Benji.

I have a 2001 Corsa Club Easytronic (automatic) I’ve had the car since April 2020. It drove fine without any issues until around the summer of 2020, I noticed when idling (drive thru’s or when stuck at traffic lights) the car would start vibrating quite loudly and to me it seemed like the car was overheating (car was in A/drive and parking brake was off, if that matters) Immediately after, it seemed as if the car was struggling to get into the correct gear because he would sort of start bouncing/shuddering slightly. In the summer of 2020, coming onto a roundabout, he died completely - my revs dropped to below 1000, I had no use of the accelerator but the car was ‘on’, I managed to coast him into a gas station, turned him off and back on, and he was fine. He did it countless more times that year, until the colder weather came around and the issue seemed to disappear entirely.

2021, warmer weather, he starts up with his issues once again. I realise quite quickly that it appears to happen more often mid drive, when my radio is on….. (after market lol) So I would pop my radio out and continue with my journey with minimal issues, although he continued to have issues when idling even if the radio was off. A couple of months ago I took him to my brother who’s a mechanic, he plugged my car into diagnostics and found a few faults with the clutch overheating (manual gearbox with an automatic selector, so I don’t have access to a physical clutch) and an issue with the fly by wire. My brother theorised my radio could be interfering with the wire, like old technology vs new technology, but is otherwise stumped and doesn’t believe a repair would be financially worth it based on the age + overall condition of my car.

My car has been experiencing the issues more frequently, I can barely get out of my street without him bouncing and trying to die on me. Often I just drive without my radio on at all, to save on the issue potentially happening.

I’m just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on what the issues could really be, and why my radio seems to bother the car, but also how long he might have left before he dies completely. He literally does this mid drive, I could be in a 30-40, and he will just drop his revs and I have to throw my hazards on. I have a young baby so this happening with her in the car on a busy road isn’t ideal, especially since I live quite remotely and need to use dual-carriageways frequently.

He starts every time without fail, and I can only liken the bouncing & shuddering to that of being in the wrong gear and the vibrating you get when you bring the clutch off the floor (but obviously I don’t have a usable clutch)

Any questions just ask, and forgive me for any wrong terminology I’ve used lol, I really have no clue what I’m talking about.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would put one l of petrol on it and light it up.

So considering you haven’t done any maintenance to the clutch actuator or brake fluid which is in, I say cut your losses and throw it in a lake where it belongs.

And for your mechanical brother, he thinks radio waves or audio signals will make clutch slip and overheat. Is he really a mechanic?

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
16,817 Posts
It's a 20 year old car, at this point I don't think it's worth spending a lot of money on it now. If you feel unsafe driving it, now may be a good time to think about buying another car.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts