Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Firstly great site & just what I need right now!. I have had my corsa 3 weeks, first car & took the lazy option to learn to drive in an automatic. Played safe & decided to buy one when passed test as I feel comfortable with the car & of course dirt cheap on insurance etc. I have a few queries I hope can be answered as I have no manufacturers manual as of yet.

I have been told that I cannot put any old oil into this model when required, with it being a 'tiptronic' model so can you advise on which 'type' of oil is best suited?. Also tyre pressure, I havent a clue what the norm should be?. I'm presuming the car has its original wheels and would like to get rid of the ghastly wheel trims but what size should I get?. On the gear console there is a button with a 'snowflake' on it and when this is activated a snowflake appears next to the 'A' on the main display again no idea what this is for?. I would like to put in a cd/radio in place of the radio/cassette and again this is another minefield, seen loads on ebay but no idea of compatability? As you can gather pretty clueless all round!!.

Many thanks in advance, much appreciated

·
Registered
197 Posts
When you say oil is that for the engine or the gearbox ?
The snowflake button,when activated,forces the car to start-off in 3rd gear so as to prevent wheelspin on slippery surfaces.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for solving 'snowflake' mystery. This is really thick I only assumed engine oil (this is the one where you have the dipstick something like myself right?). So now you ask I guess both engine & brake would be a neccessity to know, I thank you for your patience...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tyre Pressures

I have the 2003 Easytronic Corsa and I have 36 in the front and 26 at the back under normal load. What's your opinion of the car?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks very much, my font of knowledge is expanding rapidly!!. Well this is my first car although I did learn to drive in a 2003 fully auto not semi-auto so already have quite a bit of confidence in this car. In my opinion I find it quite a good drive and definatley very nippy for a 1.2 bearing in mind I've not exactly pushed it to the max as of yet! As its only 4yrs old with 38k I hope to get a good deal out of it as time goes by. I find the rear seat head rests a design fault as if you have them up then rear view is extremely restricted, but of course they can be put down. Boot space is tiny but then again this is only a 'cosmetic' opinion. Have you had your's long and in your opinion what do you think?, thank you for your help with the tyre pressure.

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
as for the cd player, your beast bet in my opinion would be to go for a proper vauxhall job, as i think you would have to buy one of those template things for a corsa. The design or elite will have one as standard, and thay all have the same display/computer so it should be an easy swap.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, I guess this would be fairly costly through Vauxhall though?. I enquired to Vauxhall about a manufacturers manual recently and was told they would happily sell me one for 25 quid plus vat, I bet they would!. I understand though at Vauxhall to change the radio at least unlike ebay etc it would be alot simpler, once again cheers

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-VIVARO-CORSA-RADIO-CD-PLAYER-NEW_W0QQitemZ5881154353QQcategoryZ67772QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-CD-Radio-player-Corsa-Astra-Meriva-Vectra-CD30_W0QQitemZ9700568241QQcategoryZ39756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

they would fit. because the space for a radio/cd on a corsa is bigger than the satndard size, you would need a template/adaptor for it to fit. this is basically a bit of plastic the same colour as the trim that will fit around the new cd player. TBH it normally looks a bit cheap, so have a good scout round for a VX one.

·
Registered
38 Posts
castortroy said:
Thanks very much, my font of knowledge is expanding rapidly!!. Well this is my first car although I did learn to drive in a 2003 fully auto not semi-auto so already have quite a bit of confidence in this car. In my opinion I find it quite a good drive and definatley very nippy for a 1.2 bearing in mind I've not exactly pushed it to the max as of yet! As its only 4yrs old with 38k I hope to get a good deal out of it as time goes by. I find the rear seat head rests a design fault as if you have them up then rear view is extremely restricted, but of course they can be put down. Boot space is tiny but then again this is only a 'cosmetic' opinion. Have you had your's long and in your opinion what do you think?, thank you for your help with the tyre pressure.
I bought mine last month, it's on an 52 (Jan 2003) plate and it only had 16000 miles on the clock. I bought it from my local garage were I have my car serviced, and I know they won't rip me off. It's an exMobility car in almost mint condition. I wrote to the previous owner and he assured me the the mileage was genuine so I'm happy enough with that. It's taking me time to get used to the Easytronic system especially the change from first to second when the car is cold, but I've found the answer is to ease off the throttle between changes to ensure a jerk free change. I like the idea of being to able to use the manual mode too.

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Its a good lump, the 1.2.

Nice chain driven cam system so low maintenance. If you want a user manual then register on the Vauxhall website and download a pdf version for free.

Oil wise, I always use Vauxhall fully synthetic and change it every 5K miles (you spend thousands on a car so don't skimp 20 quid or so a year on oil I always say!), this power plant will be quite happy with this stuff in it.

Don't be put off with the boot, if you fold the back seats down on a five door you can get a boxed dish washer in it (I know as I have done so!), if you want to see a small boot, look at the new focus!

The change from first to second is supposed to occur at higher than normal revs when cold to give the cat optimum chance to get warm quickly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the oil advice, and on how to go about getting a manufacturers manual. Handy to know large appliances will fit into the boot, quite deceptive as 2 regular bags of shopping and it looks full!!, cheers.

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
if you want to see a small boot, look at the new focus!
The one on the new focus is massive for a hatch! That's why I nearly bought one, but it was so dull I ended up getting the VX.

Castortroy, have you sorted your CD yet?

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
I think its dam small......the boot floor is very high thanks to the spare wheel and suspension setup.

I use one most weeks with work and its probably the smallest usable size in its class.........judging from what I can get in it....!

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
is that 3dr or 5? I really wanted a decent sized hatch because all the saloons and estates I've had are too big in a crowded city, and Astra size cars seem to have grown in recent years (the new veccy I tested felt like a van). The only issue was the boot size, which is why I looked at the focus, but the Astra was the best in its class, it was like an Audi A4 inside, and looks better than a Golf. I had an 18k budget, so I got a middle of the range model and filled it with extras.

·
Trisexual
2,149 Posts
TBH if i were you I would go for a proper VX one. The one on mine is really good, and they will always look a hell of a lot nicer:Cool2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts