Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have replaced my rear wheel cylinders, shoes & full brake shoe spring retaining kit & hand brake cables.

My MOT roller readings show NSR foot brake not working correctly.

Im looking for a source for the BRAKE REGULATOR unit - here is my unit here, left cylinder with white chalk markings - it is the larger union fitting (M12) - the unit on the LEFT.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
A good few years ago, I seem to remember successfully taking one of those apart, and managing to free off the piston inside, which had rusted into the body of the valve. If you can't find one, you might have to try this.
This must have been about 30 years ago though, so my memory could be letting me down!

Reactions: andy_v and Valer

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A good few years ago, I seem to remember successfully taking one of those apart, and managing to free off the piston inside, which had rusted into the body of the valve. If you can't find one, you might have to try this.
This must have been about 30 years ago though, so my memory could be letting me down!
I will bare that in mind - the actual valve (ate unit) was only replaced a couple years ago .... i thought maybe debris in the line so bled 1 ltr b/fluid through the brake pipe etc to make sure i happy with it .... i was thinking of trying to connect the nsr brake line with a step down etc to the other valve and see if the fault was still present or moves to the other side etc.
Im not ruling out that there could be issues with the shoe's or faulty wheel cylinder etc.

Thanks for the info Alan.

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
Im not ruling out that there could be issues with the shoe's or faulty wheel cylinder etc.
Thanks for the info Alan.
If the handbrake is working correctly, then that probably rules out a problem with the shoes.
I assume you checked that the wheel cylinder was not seized?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yep brand new cylinder - i work in garage - car in mot rollers shows efficiency upto 1st full number on scale while os goes 3 times higher etc - assuming there is no pressure to operate the ns correctly - hence suspecting this valve unit - also when brake applied & released - brake still on - so i hit the trailing shoe side of drum - drum still wont rotate - hit the drum leading shoe side and drum is free to spin - the adjusters are all free and greased working correctly - im thinking incorrect fluid supply pressure to ns wheel cylinder possibly pistons not to sit squarly in housing etc and possibly misaligning so they cant return correctly......

·
Premium Member
3,339 Posts
The other thing that could cause this problem is a defective flexible hose, swelling inside and preventing the fluid returning.
Also, don't forget that the pressure limiting valves are just that, they are there to prevent the rear wheels locking when braking, so it could be that the one you think is faulty is actually ok, and it's the other one that's faulty. However, I would be changing the flexi first, for what they cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts