Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I drive a 2002 Vauxhall corsa c 1.2 comfort which I believe has s electric power steering. The EPs is normally OK, but after the car is reversed parked (or parallel parked) wheel turned to far left and then far right while reversing, it gets jammed!

The jam is gone when the vehicle is driven off and is back to normal. Could anyone tell what might be wrong.
Thanks
Jess

·
14,169 Posts
What do you mean by "jammed"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jammed means the power steering does not work. It becomes too stiff to turn the wheel. It takes too much physical effort to turn the vehicle.

The eps becomes normal once driven off. But jams again when stressed!
Really need help!

·
14,169 Posts
Get your charging system and battery checked, at low speeds the EPS system takes a lot of power which comes from the battery when the engine revs are low and the alternator when the engine is running fast enough. Deficiencies in either system could cause your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for your response. Will replace the battery and see if the problem goes away.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before replacing the battery I tried the following. I drove the corsa for 5 minutes and tried reversing turning the steering wheel to both ends. As expected the wheel lost power steering and become hard. Then I raved the engine on neutral for a couple of minutes so that the alternator will work hard and charge the battery which in turn would provide enough current to eps motor. But, this did NOT work. The wheel was still stiff and became normal after I drove off!

Can anyone help as it seems the battery is not the culprit
Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts