Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The original starter jammed on and she drove it home and it then failed to start. Replaced the starter motor and all was fine for a month. Now it sometimes refuses to start, just ticks. Sometimes it doesn't even tick. Leave it overnight and it usually starts. I've seen comments about sticky ignition and various sensors. Any ideas where to look please.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi if it goes click click click it is normally the solenoid gone on the starter if it was battery it would try to start then click as the power ran down as it does start some times this also points to sticky solenoid
regards
Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Battery

Bought a new battery. No change. When it has stood for a long time it starts. (Stone cold?) Otherwise just gives a single tick when key is turned. The starter is almost new. Where is the solenoid? is it the silver can on the starter housing? I can only see one nut at the bottom holding the starter on. I'm really to old for all this.
I recollect that on one attempt to start it, It ticked then buzzed then started all in one key turn.

·
Sit in airport. No Thanks. Lets go Cav
225 Posts

This is one off a Cav Izusu TD. Should be the same but yours smaller.

The thing on top with the electrical connections is the soleniod.

I would guess either one of the bolts holding the starter inplace has come undone, and hence when the starter treis to spin the force moves the starter body in relatin to the flywheel and jams. Or the igniation wire on the soleniod conections has come loose.

The starter motor is seen and got to far more easily from the bottom of the engine.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Don't forget to check for voltages at the starter motor solenoid as the ignition switch may be worn/ burnt out.

NickT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cooking with Gas

Thanks for all your ideas. The corsa version does look very much like the picture. The electrical wires are securely attached.
It so happens that in the few days leading up to the onset of the click, the starter was labouring to turn the engine over but just enough to start it. Is this one or two of the bolts slowly working loose? It seems to fit the symptoms
How many nuts are there? Ive only seen the one underneath. Can they just be tightened or does it need to be jiggled into place first. How do you access the top nuts? Definitely not from underneath and the top is a mass of hoses and an oil filter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts