Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '95 M plate Isuzu engined (or so I believe it to be) 1.5 non-turbo diesel Corsa. The car has gradually over the last month took longer and longer for the battery light to go out to the point now where unless you are doing 60mph+ for longer than 10 minutes (i.e. motorway driving) the battery/alternator light does not go out at all. I havent put a multimeter across the battery yet but I was wondering what the chances were that this is NOT alternator related? Or is it inevitable that I will have to change the alternator.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I take it from looking through the archive that it could be the charge relay causing the battery light to stay on. Where is this relay and what colour is it and how much to replace.....no one on eBay does them. Also would I check via sticking a multimeter over the battery while the engine is running and if I get over 13 volts and the light o the dash is on I can safely say that the alternator is OK and its the charge relay that is causing the battery light to stay on.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on chaps any idea.....whats the part number I need from Vauxhall to replace the charger relay and roughly how much are they?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Put a multimeter across the battery today. Alternator seems to be giving charge out. Have ordered a new charge relay from Autovaux for £12.48 but I still do not know what the current relay looks like and I dont know whereabouts it is. There are some relays in the kickplate next to the bonnet pull but none have any identification other than part numbers.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
black i think , it will normally be the one with a hole melted in the side of the cover from when an alternator has died & half cooked the relay , its a while since i have done 1 on a corsa but i know the heater plug relay is up there as well & will have 2 thick cables going into it (possibly purple ) so you can rule that one out.

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
The relays the small 5 pin black one. Sod paying £12, go and nick one from the scrappers or you can get one from hafrauds cheaper.

Check your not getting over 14.5 volts from the alt when you rev it above 3k.
The regulator goes and it over charges burning the relay out.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm getting around 12.5 volts when the engine is running. Thanks for the advice....I've ordered and paid for it now though. When you say halfrauds do it.....I didn't think they supplied parts like that.

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
I'm getting around 12.5 volts when the engine is running. Thanks for the advice....I've ordered and paid for it now though. When you say halfrauds do it.....I didn't think they supplied parts like that.
it's just a standard 5 pin 12v relay. The next time you go to the scrap yard stick a few in your pocket :Cool2:

let us know when you sort it :Cool2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for everyones help. Problem appears to be solved but the battery light is dimly on when the cars idling when cold. I think I need to raise the cod start idle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The missus came to me yesterday to say that theres a problem again! Everything is fine unless you start sticking the radio on.....then the battery light is dimly lit.....that is until you break where upon it gets brighter. Does this sound to you guys like the alternator is shagged or could it just be the brush pack at the rear (presuming they are the same as all the other alternators I have messed with in the past). Also the alternator does leak a little oil from one of the pipes going to it....buts it nothing chronic. :mmmm

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Missus took the car out today because it was wet and after going on a 5 mile round trip with the wipers on max speed the battery wore down. I would guess it has got to be the alternator now??

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fitted a new alternator yesterday. Only gripe was there didnt seem to be the same amount of places to hold the actual wiring to the alternator itself. All the actual connections were in place but the attachements to stop the wiring chaffing were not. I have cable tied it out the way. Also the side plate that they call the pivot plate.....not sure if I have connected that back properly. The actual part of the plate that sticks outs it actually holding the alternator from underneath. Also the oil pipe that goes to the block by way of small rubber pipe (not the braided hose that bolts to the alternator) now seems to long for the application and kinks slightly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Noticed yesterday that the belt is squealing somewhat. Think it might be that side bracket (think its called the pivot bracket) that is causing it.

·
A tired Vxon user
1,961 Posts
Fitted a new alternator yesterday. Only gripe was there didnt seem to be the same amount of places to hold the actual wiring to the alternator itself. All the actual connections were in place but the attachements to stop the wiring chaffing were not. I have cable tied it out the way. Also the side plate that they call the pivot plate.....not sure if I have connected that back properly. The actual part of the plate that sticks outs it actually holding the alternator from underneath. Also the oil pipe that goes to the block by way of small rubber pipe (not the braided hose that bolts to the alternator) now seems to long for the application and kinks slightly.
The pivot plate should be mounted at the bottom with the square hole towards the front of the car.

Do you mean the short large diameter oil return pipe? It should have a bend in it which should be towards the ground. Maybe it just needs a tweek ;)

Use the square in the pivot plate with your ratchet to tension the belt if it's squeeling.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts