Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm going to do this in bullet points as its gotten very complicated
Fan runs intermittently as soon as you start engine even when frosty. I had a P00bo4 code so changed top sensor no change, so changed radiator sensor, no change, so changed thermostat no change, so changed header tank and pressure cap no change. All the time the car has been boiling over intermittently. There is not much pressure when you take off the header pressure cap. Added a bottle of k seal pour and go in desperation even though there is no mayo on oil cap. Mate's diagnostic machine showed all sensors cutting in and thermostat operating ok. Wednesday journey 3 mile trip to Derby then a 2 hour rest 3 mile trip back home and after 1.5 miles car boils over. Tank was up to level when we left home. We get the engine management light coming on intermittently and we get the service light the same. Sometimes the red temp light. As I lie here on the drive weeping I am thinking Ecu or water pump which was changed at 12000 miles and its now done 32000 . It's a 2011 1.4 sxi auto. Just as this was happening it went into limphome mode 6 weeks ago and it was the coil pack which had broken off one of the spark plug connectors. This was replaced so no connection. The only other thing is the central locking on the passenger door doesn't always work - again I don't think its connected? Any thoughts? I've been doing cars for nigh on 45 years and this is a big puzzle. Unfortunately I have liver cancer and am somewhat restricted in what I can do, so I want a reasonable idea what I need a garage to do to rectify the problem without a great deal of spend. Thanks in anticipation.

·
12,349 Posts
When you say "boiling over intermittently" do you mean it is actually boiling over and losing water or do you mean the warning light is telling you that there is excessively high temperature?

Get a sniff test done of the coolant because it has the signs of a failing or failed head gasket if it is boiling over in less than 2 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi yes sometimes when the red light appears the coolant has gone from the header tank but other times its just bubbling away in the tank and other times its in the hot position on the tank 1/4 inch above the cold mark. Its completely at random , sometimes I can blame myself for forgetting to bleed the system but other times its just a random event. edited to add the other day it was a 6 mile trip each way and no problem no loss of coolant or boiling

·
12,349 Posts
Sniff test on the coolant to see if it has any hydrocarbons in it is the way forward.
Either get a garage to do it or buy yourself a test kit off eBay for under a tenner and test it yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that I've just got one off ebay should be here early next week see whats lurking in the coolant. Interestingly enough I waas talking to a caravan service guy who used to be a mechanic and he said that if you run the car without the cap you should see the coolant being pumped in and through the header tank and I'm not seeing that. I had wondered if it was the head gaskit but what was putting me off was the fact that when the fan starts intermitantly on a cold morning we are talking turn key engine starts fan starts all with in seconds so that may be a second unrelated fault just sent to confuse me ha ha.see what happens next week with the test.

·
12,349 Posts
You should see the coolant coming into the tank via the small pipe, I see plenty of flow into my tank.

We had a VW Golf that did what yours is doing, you could drive 100 miles with no problems, other times it would suddenly shoot up in temperature and overheat, sometimes within a mile. It was put into the garage because I was convinced it was water pump failure and after they did all the checks for head gasket failure we concluded it was probably the pump to blame. Rather than fix it we part exchanged it for our current VW Touran. Reading about on the net some years later it seemed such failure was due to the impeller on the water pumps becoming loose and sometimes it would grip the shaft and other times it would just spin, causing a lack of circulation and then lead to overheating.
See what the sniff test shows up then look at the water pump, especially if it was one that had a plastic impeller.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I believe that is a common problem with the water pumps , the first was replaced at 12000 miles but that was a leak with a seal and was a common problem. My other car is a 2 ltr tdi golf and the pump on that has plastic impellers the same as the corsa. if the sniff is clear I will book it in I think the water pump replacement is around £250 from what I can remember. A bit to heavy for me at present and I think the pump is around £50 to buy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Koicarpkeeper Thanks for your help I sent off for a head gasket tester kit and tried it and it showed it was ok. I rang around and got quotes for diagnostic and pump replacement. Bearing in mind I had an independent fit a non Vauxhall part 5 years ago for £250 so yesterday I paid £320 at the main dealer with a Vauxhall part and very friendly helpful staff not too bad. Seems to have worked but can't go anywhere now locked down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts