Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a Corsa 1.3 CDTI 08 with a water damaged ecu that I could do with some pointers with.

So first started noticing it losing power, then when started it wouldnt rev, got it plugged in at the closest garage and he said ECU. Ive since took the ecu out ( no real signs of pooled water or sludge or anything in the area) and opened it up and there was signs of corrosion, not loads but enough to not be good, Ive gently cleaned this up and its come up better then i thought but you cant tell with these things. I took the battery out and recharged it whilst i had the ecu out. Ive put the ecu and battery back in today and when I turn the ignition i just get a lot of clicks and buzzes, the clocks click and not much else happens. Ive got some before and after photos of the ecu and a vid of what happens when you turn the key,

Thanks (y)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
737 Posts
Hi Guys,

I have a Corsa 1.3 CDTI 08 with a water damaged ecu that I could do with some pointers with.

So first started noticing it losing power, then when started it wouldnt rev, got it plugged in at the closest garage and he said ECU. Ive since took the ecu out ( no real signs of pooled water or sludge or anything in the area) and opened it up and there was signs of corrosion, not loads but enough to not be good, Ive gently cleaned this up and its come up better then i thought but you cant tell with these things. I took the battery out and recharged it whilst i had the ecu out. Ive put the ecu and battery back in today and when I turn the ignition i just get a lot of clicks and buzzes, the clocks click and not much else happens. Ive got some before and after photos of the ecu and a vid of what happens when you turn the key,

Thanks (y)
It might not of been water causing ecu to need replaced sometimes they just brake through vibrations etc you can send them away to get fixed which will save you from having to reprogram a new one in

·
Premium Member
13,737 Posts
Thats pretty bad, the problem with this ecu is that its a multi layer board so water ingress to that extent is not repairable, someone might get it to work but you will constantly have running issues, replacing it is the most economical repair for your wallet and sanity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies guys.

so replacing, ive had a quick search and i can only find a few second hand ones in the £250 mark, is that about right for them? and then have it recoded to my car. what else would i need to code it to my car hardware wise?

thanks

Reen

·
Premium Member
13,737 Posts
The price sounds about right for a used unit just be aware it may also have had water ingress,... to coding the ecu to your car can be done with Opcom/Vauxcom so long as you have the cars security code and the replacement has been reset or comes with its own security code so you can reset it yourself, the other way is to swap the Eeprom from your old ecu to the new, no programming needed then,... the only other thing to be aware of is there are two different software, so make sure you get one with the same numbers, if you dont you will need to have the ecu SPS updated using Tech2 and GlobalTis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok great thanks for your help, i have a opcom on order and i might not be to handy with a car but i am with a computer so if i can plug it in to one im sure i can find my way from there, if not i might ask lol

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
42 Posts
How did you get on Reen? Got the same problem now, 1.3 diesel Corsa only 84k I got ECU out and it had been out before one screw missing and unit covered in sealant and the missing screw was hiding underneath it. I just want the cheapest option and then keep my fingers crossed its such a great economical car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ive just got my opcom so intend to plug it in tomorrow and then see if i can get anything out of my cleaned ecu, not hopeful, then its trying to find a second hand one thats not water damaged for less than £1000000 lol (well from what ive seen youre looking at 250-400) and then recoding it, fortunately i think i can do that myself but so im informed people charge a bit to recode them too, so non of it is as cheap as id like it to be

1 - 9 of 9 Posts