Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, got a 2015 1.2 limited edition Corsa that has been playing up with coolant temp. On Saturday it almost overheated and then when I let it cool, it drove fine and temp gauge was normal. Then this morning, i had to jump start it and now is NO Temp Indication at all.
The heating works fine e.g. hot when demanded and cold when demanded.

Also, it got a new battery on Friday due to the other one being flat and drove fine all day Friday.

Any ideas?

·
12,742 Posts
Did it actually overheat or did the temperature gauge incorrectly indicate that it was overheating? Sounds more like the gauge was having an issue. DO NOT jump start Corsas, it can lead to all sorts of problems including corruption of the BCM, you really need to take the battery off and charge it.
Maybe your alternator has stopped charging which has glitched your instruments and fitting a new battery has only provided a temporary fix until that too went flat.
You need to do some checks on the charging output to make sure your battery is actually getting a charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strangely enough, the replacement battery from Euro Cra parts is no where near the weight or size of the old one yet has the same -063 number and they said its for that model of car. It’s size however is not the same. Might it be the battery?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did it actually overheat or did the temperature gauge incorrectly indicate that it was overheating? Sounds more like the gauge was having an issue. DO NOT jump start Corsas, it can lead to all sorts of problems including corruption of the BCM, you really need to take the battery off and charge it.
Maybe your alternator has stopped charging which has glitched your instruments and fitting a new battery has only provided a temporary fix until that too went flat.
You need to do some checks on the charging output to make sure your battery is actually getting a charge.
Gauge indicated “engine overheat “ and in red. No steam etc and no issues with erformance of car when this happened.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gauge indicated “engine overheat “ and in red. No steam etc and no issues with erformance of car when this happened.
Got it started again but took a few attempts as if wasn’t firing properly, when it fired up the gauge went straight to normal (in the middle = 4 bars), which if obviously a cold engine it should have been 2 bars. Battery or coolant temp sensor???

·
12,742 Posts
I would be looking at the coolant sensor, especially if you are confident that the actual temperature was normal when you had the indication of excessive engine temperature.

·
Super Moderator
26,084 Posts
Strangely enough, the replacement battery from Euro Cra parts is no where near the weight or size of the old one yet has the same -063 number and they said its for that model of car. It’s size however is not the same. Might it be the battery?
Battery technology has moved on , a smaller sized battery doesn’t mean less power etc.
I had an 063 battery on my Astra 1;7 cdti & it performed faultlessly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would be looking at the coolant sensor, especially if you are confident that the actual temperature was normal when you had the indication of excessive engine temperature.
Just replaced the ECT. Now have a code P0118 (ECT Sensor 1 High Circuit) while previously it was P0119 (ECT Temp Sensor 1 Intermittent). Is this a dodgy sensor? Car has started fine in the last week although its not been driven. Still no indication on the dash of the engine coolant temp.

·
12,742 Posts
What is the engine temperature reading in the IPC?
Ignore the engine output because that will probably be wrong even on a working sensor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, after 5 mins at idle it then registered 2 bars in temp garage. Took of for a drive and went to 4 bars (normal) and checked the ECT reading when I got back and is at 92 as indicated on dash.

·
Super Moderator
26,084 Posts
So, after 5 mins at idle it then registered 2 bars in temp garage. Took of for a drive and went to 4 bars (normal) and checked the ECT reading when I got back and is at 92 as indicated on dash.
So all now sorted ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts