Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Does anyone know how the corrosian warranty works?

I've just cleaned my 5year old 2.2 and noticed I'm getting some corrosian at the bottom outside of the drivers door.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The warranty is not worth the paper its written on but to honour the warranty you must have had all the anti corrosion checks on the service book stamped and to date.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
goonas-uk said:
You need to make sure that your service book has been stamped with the anti-corrosion checks.
I'ts been stamped with the service checks but not the corrosian checks.

Does that mean I'm F****d?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
As noted before, the 6-year anti corrosion warranty is very difficult to claim on.

1. You will need to have the annual anti-corrosion checks stamped in your service book (not just the standard service).

2. Any body or paint repairs from when the vehicle was new should be carried-out only at Vx dealer, and followed by rust-proofing (e.e injecting Waxoil-type meterials into cavities etc).

3. If you read the owners handbook carefully, you will discover that you should wash the underside on the car every year to remove salt, rinse the inside plastic arches, but not use carwash machines that have under-carriage washing, not was the engine bay, etc, and if you have comitted any of these mortal offences then you should re-wax the under-carriage etc - so basically there is a lot of slack for them to work their way out of the warranty.

4. Where you may have a come back is on the anti-perforation checks. I have never heard fo a VX dealer offering an anti-perforation check, so if the car has Vx FSH you could argue that you booked the car for service annualy and you trusted the dealer to carry out all necessary checks, and if they have not alerted you to the fact that this needs to be done that they have been negligent etc (Finlay - help me out on this one?).

Where you may have a come-back is

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi

As I've got a direct line to the customer services manager because of other ongoing probs. (See a funny thing happened at the supermarket) they have agreed to for the dealer to examine the car.

All is not lost yet!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Yes, I've being following the one with the supermarket... You have achieved far more then others, it seem that you have a way with the ladies, at least those at Vauxhall.... ;)

Good luck!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
markjay said:
Yes, I've being following the one with the supermarket... You have achieved far more then others, it seem that you have a way with the ladies, at least those at Vauxhall.... ;)

Good luck!
I'ts probably because of my age - they feel sorry for an 'old man' :lmao:

Oh for the days of the car in the picture - a quick squirt with a grease gun once a month - oil change every now and again - clean the spark plugs - replace the points and condenser - reset the tappets - car would run like a dream.

Take the car to the garage and have the underside sprayed with oil (5 bob in the fifties) 25p to you.

By the way, I'm not that old - I think.

Cruise all day at 40mph.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
i was in a ford garage car park once and overheard a woman complaing about rust on her car door and that she had a corrosion warranty of sorts. the salesman looked at it and said its only covered from the inside out and that there was nothing he could do.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Auto Addict said:
Hi

Does anyone know how the corrosian warranty works?

I've just cleaned my 5year old 2.2 and noticed I'm getting some corrosian at the bottom outside of the drivers door.
Just had a look at the anti corrosion warranty which refers to "perforation" the way I read it there has to be a actual hole in the body panel for it to be covered:eh and therfore surface rust would not come under the terms of the warranty:grrr

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Tony H said:
Just had a look at the anti corrosion warranty which refers to "perforation" the way I read it there has to be a actual hole in the body panel for it to be covered:eh and therfore surface rust would not come under the terms of the warranty:grrr
Correct.

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Auto Addict said:
Door is bubbling underneath the paintwork - no surface rust!
But has the corrosion come from inside the panel? I suspect not.

More than likely a pin hole in the paintwork (or a small stonechip) has allowed water / salt to get behind the paint.

·
Registered
761 Posts
the corosion listed is exactly the same as i have on a now 6yr 1 month mv6 - some 5 months ago i enquired about the 6 year warranty - Vauxhall customer services indicated it needed full anti corosion inspetions marked up in services history book - and the fact that i have full main dealer history isnt enough.

If i pushed i reckon i would have won - should have pursued it really - Omegas always corrode in the same odd places i say a design fault!!! Facelift have better warranty and more of the body is galvanised

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think you guys are getting confused... the warranty is a guarantee that you'll have noticable amounts of rust before the car reaches 6 years old. If you don't and your car is old enough, you'll probably find you're excluded from the program because you've stored your car in a vacuum for the last 6 years as that's the only way you'll find an Omega with no rust.

It makes me laugh when a 6 or 7 year old car, which is otherwise in good condition indicating it's been looked after, has very prominent rust spots on the doors. It just doesn't happen with modern cars in my experience, well except ones with a Vauxhall badge on the front. I wonder if removing the badge will stop them rusting? I have a 12 year old, 205,000 mile Audi sitting outside my parents' house, it's probably worth about 20p yet doesn't have a single bit of rust on it. Many Omegas I've seen of a similar age are absolutely rotten, to the point where it would be more than the car's value to sort them.

I'm sure that Audi will still be running in 10 years' time when my Omega has long since become a load of brown ferrous-oxide sludge ;). But then when Audi state in their brochure that the body is galvonised, they actually mean it. Vauxhall on the other hand write something like "extensively galvanised"... their definition of extensive doesn't coincide with mine, maybe they galvanised the (plastic) bumpers :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts