Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
Sounds like it needs the modulator cycled whilst bleeding. Some heavy braking down a dirt road might push some more through 馃構 either that or you've put something back together wrong/loose
I wouldn't be surprised if I have.
But I'll have to wait until I've fixed the alternator which has kindly gone on the blink, before I can take it onto a dirt road again.

Premium Member

Red ring module, yellow ring pump.
Anyhow if you got no codes from the abs module likely not the issue.

Hope you get it sorted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
Does the pedal return from the floor or stay there?

Everytime you re-bleed the system are you still getting bubbles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And are you using fresh/new fluid every time you bleed them, never use fluid that has already been through the system as it WILL be full of air and contaminates.

Premium Member
I recall having the same issue with the same car that had a new master cylinder fitted. Turned out theres a round cylinder after the master cylinder and it was fitted in the wrong orientation meaning air sat in it rather than being pushed out. Can you take a photo of the round thing in the engine bay right were the master cylinder attaches.

Premium Member
This us the part. The pipes need to be at the top of the cylinder. If not air cannot be removed

125511_opel_zafira,_astra,_1999-05,_clutch_master_cylinder,_kupplungszylinder,_gm,_fte,_kg1550...jpg

It should sit like this sorry about my crap drawing. I'm on my mobile. The one with the red tick next to it is correct. Red x is wrong.

image_2020-03-22_11-19.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
And are you using fresh/new fluid every time you bleed them, never use fluid that has already been through the system as it WILL be full of air and contaminates.
Yes, new fluid every time.

Registered
Discussion Starter #28
This us the part. The pipes need to be at the top of the cylinder. If not air cannot be removed

View attachment 91107

It should sit like this sorry about my crap drawing. I'm on my mobile. The one with the red tick next to it is correct. Red x is wrong.

View attachment 91108
I don't have anything like that in mine.
The servo looks like this (it's the old one which I replaced):

Worn Out Member
That's the clutch cylinder that Mark is referring to.

Registered
Discussion Starter #31

View attachment 91107

View attachment 91108
I took another look and there is indeed a round cylinder after the master cylinder, but it looks to be in the correct orientation. It's actually attached to a bracket so has not been moved at all.
Someone else said that it is the clutch cylinder.
I traced the pipe that comes out from it. It goes under the battery tray and into another metal box that looks to be mounted on the block.
The thing is there is a bleed nipple on it, presumably to bleed the clutch.
I wonder if it could have trapped air that might be affecting the brakes.
Is it possible?

Even if the clutch line is full of air it can not affect the brakes. They are completely separate apart from sharing a common reservoir.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Here is a picture of the cylinder that Mark mentioned (not very good I'm afraid - it's awkward to get the phone in there).
1.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #34
Even if the clutch line is full of air it can not affect the brakes. They are completely separate apart from sharing a common reservoir.
That's what I thought, but why then would the clutch cylinder orientation be an issue as Mark has suggested?

Premium Member
My mistake. I miss read the thread and thought it was the clutch you were bleeding. Ignore anything I've said. Had a long month.

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
Well I replaced the alternator and then got back to bleeding.
I pumped the Sealey up to 25psi (TIS2000 says 29-35psi but I didn't want to go that high if I could avoid it).
I started at the rear right (it's a LHD Zafira), and the bubbles started flowing, a lot more and bigger than previously when I was only using 15psi. So it looks like the higher pressure is necessary (because of ABS?).
Unfortunately I noticed a leak coming from a pipe (see picture). Is this a brake pipe?
If so do they sell the complete pipe, shaped and with nuts anywhere?

It is the brake pipe, which will be a dealer only part. Better to get a new section made up in copper or cupro nickel.
What has been happening is that faulty piece of pipe has become porous to air which has been drawn into the system.

Had the same thing on a classic Mini many years ago where bleeding the system became almost a weekly hobby. Lost my rag with it one day and stamped on the brakes and a dribble of brake fluid appeared from where the rear brake line passed over the top of the subframe. Never lost any brake fluid before that but had been drawing in air for ages. Common sense says if air can get in fluid should leak out, but sometimes common sense can be wrong.

Replace that pipe and I bet your air problems will be sorted.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts