Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the correct pressure to pump the Sealey VS820 to when bleeding the brakes on a 2001 Zafira A 1.6 petrol with ABS?
The instructions say that it is suitable for ABS systems but doesn't give a figure to pump it up to.
I don't want to damage the seals or anything.

·
everson38
97 Posts
Does anyone know the correct pressure to pump the Sealey VS820 to when bleeding the brakes on a 2001 Zafira A 1.6 petrol with ABS?
The instructions say that it is suitable for ABS systems but doesn't give a figure to pump it up to.
I dont have the sealey one but a knock of version and i pump it to one bar which seemd to w9rk fine, did it a year ago an no issues with brakes. If really unsure gi about half that and see how u get on. What this vud as he is using one on a cora c

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have the sealey one but a knock of version and i pump it to one bar which seemd to w9rk fine, did it a year ago an no issues with brakes. If really unsure gi about half that and see how u get on. What this vud as he is using one on a cora c

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
ta will do

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a look at TIS2000 and despite its lack of sufficient detail to help you do almost any job on the car, I did find that the bleeder pressure should be 2 to 2.5 bar (29-35psi). However the reason given is for there to be sufficient pressure to get air out of the rear calipers. This is after entering all my car's details and is supposed to give tailored information.
The only problem is that my car (and all other Zafira A's?) has rear wheel cylinders.
Anyway I contacted Sealey and their technical help said that though those pressures are at the upper limit for the bleeder, it "should be ok in this application."
So I intend to do it again at that pressure, once I have sorted out the problem that has arisen with my alternator not charging the battery.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
15-20psi will work well, I have the same tool and use it on many cars never had to go above this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
I already used it at 15psi and it didn't work for me.
Go up to 20psi then...

If that don’t work then you have the only Vauxhall in the world it ain’t worked on .

I have seen slave cylinder seals blow on big pressures so be careful...

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
If your bleeding the whole brake system then Start from the first corner furthest away from the master cylinder and work round to the closest, one by one.
Use a clear tube on the nipples into a bottle, you should not see any bubbles at those pressures after a minute or less on each side.
If you do something is not correct...

Can I ask why your bleeding it?

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
If your bleeding the whole brake system then Start from the first corner furthest away from the master cylinder and work round to the closest, one by one.
Use a clear tube on the nipples into a bottle, you should not see any bubbles at those pressures after a minute or less on each side.

Since your off line and I’m here for now but may not be for the next week;
Here is another suggestion to hopefully help you solve your issues.

So atm I don’t know why your bleeding the system or even your symptoms if any,
But I’m guessing you have a spongy pedal or that it goes to the floor, if so;
Bleed the system to the instructions given, if no bubbles are seen in the clear tube but you have the current symptoms mentioned above then suspect your master cylinder,
If bubbles are present after sometime of bleeding then check for small leaks in and around the system.

Good luck and hope all is resolved soon.

Cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I had to replace the master cylinder and servo.
That entailed removing the ABS unit.
I also sheared a wheel cylinder bleed screw, so had to replace the cylinder.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since your off line and I’m here for now but may not be for the next week;
Here is another suggestion to hopefully help you solve your issues.

So atm I don’t know why your bleeding the system or even your symptoms if any,
But I’m guessing you have a spongy pedal or that it goes to the floor, if so;
Bleed the system to the instructions given, if no bubbles are seen in the clear tube but you have the current symptoms mentioned above then suspect your master cylinder,
If bubbles are present after sometime of bleeding then check for small leaks in and around the system.

Good luck and hope all is resolved soon.

Cheers

It's a new master cylinder, but after bleeding the pedal still goes to the floor.
I suppose it could be faulty but unlikely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've never had mine over 10psi, zero problems bleeding any system. If it's not coming out with 10psi or more you have a problem.
It does come out, and I've run it until there are no bubbles, but the pedal is still going to the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
It does come out, and I've run it until there are no bubbles, but the pedal is still going to the floor.
Does the pedal return from the floor or stay there?

Everytime you re-bleed the system are you still getting bubbles?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think I read that you shouldn't go over 15psi, at that pressure fluid should run through fine so if not, there's another reason, bleed nipple properly open and not blocked?
The fluid does come out, and I've run it until there are no bubbles. I've done it a few times but the pedal still goes to the floor.
TIS2000, which you would imagine is accurate, specifies 29-35psi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the pedal return from the floor or stay there?

Everytime you re-bleed the system are you still getting bubbles?

The pedal returns from the floor.
I do get some bubbles but not a lot, and not from every corner, each time I re-bleed.
Another thing that makes me think I need to run the air out at a higher pressure is that the fluid level in the reservoir drops dramatically on occasion, once when I activated the ABS on-road and once when the battery went flat and all the dials went crazy when I tried to start it.
The fluid level dropped to less than minimum, and I see no leaks anywhere. So I'm guessing there is still a lot of air trapped somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,168 Posts
Sounds like it needs the modulator cycled whilst bleeding. Some heavy braking down a dirt road might push some more through either that or you've put something back together wrong/loose
You may need a diagnostic tool capable of bleeding the abs unit whilst system bleeding.

Or you have missed something.

When I do abs units a simple pressure bleed sorts all to be honest rarely use the diagnostic tool for the abs module.

You have had the lights for abs etc come up, I suggest you get somebody out with a scanner capable of full abilities and bi-functional options... lights on there will be codes present/history to help too

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You may need a diagnostic tool capable of bleeding the abs unit whilst system bleeding.

Or you have missed something.

When I do abs units a simple pressure bleed sorts all to be honest rarely use the diagnostic tool for the abs module.

You have had the lights for abs etc come up, I suggest you get somebody out with a scanner capable of full abilities and bi-functional options... lights on there will be codes present/history to help too

I did use the Opcom to activate the ABS pump, didn't make much difference to the fluid level. There wasn't an option to bleed the ABS. I believe it would be under "Special Functions" which was grayed out unavailable
I even got a Foxwell NT630 Plus bidirectional diagnostic tool - it too had no options to bleed the ABS on this car, so I'm guessing there isn't a control module on this car for that. I returned the Foxwell for a refund (Amazon).
The light for the ABS goes out after starting.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts