Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here, I'm 19 and I drive a 52 reg Astra G 1.6 16V. The problem I'm having is when the car reaches 90° the engine fan kicks in and I get what I believe is known as the "problem in the cooling system" warning light on the dash. Thermostat has been replaced, the car runs as it should warms up and cools down as it should, only ever overheated once and it was in a car park whilst allowing a friend to drive around which somehow caused it to overheat. Anyone help??

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Hi there when driving normally the fan shouldn't come on, it only comes on if the car is standing still or on a hot day in traffic etc...if when its standing it comes on a for a few minutes then goes off then come on again etc that is normal....i think the temp gauge can go up to about 100c with no problem....so if its doing all that it shouldn't be overheating....the light isnt for the coolant level is it?...i would check that, might even be a faulty switch or sensor....from Fred in Essex.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there when driving normally the fan shouldn't come on, it only comes on if the car is standing still or on a hot day in traffic etc...if when its standing it comes on a for a few minutes then goes off then come on again etc that is normal....i think the temp gauge can go up to about 100c with no problem....so if its doing all that it shouldn't be overheating....the light isnt for the coolant level is it?...i would check that, might even be a faulty switch or sensor....from Fred in Essex.
Thanks Fred! Coolant is filled to the normal limit, the fan comes on whenever the car hits 90, sometimes when driving. I'll have to have a good look at all the sensors and switches!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sounds like an airlock in the cooling system to me. Do the air vents blow hot air in the cabin when set to? Pretty sure the bleeding method is the same, run car up to temp with the lid off the expansion bottle and the heaters set to full whack. Then top up the level accordingly and replace the lid

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like an airlock in the cooling system to me. Do the air vents blow hot air in the cabin when set to? Pretty sure the bleeding method is the same, run car up to temp with the lid off the expansion bottle and the heaters set to full whack. Then top up the level accordingly and replace the lid
The car blows hot air when set on hot and cold air when set of cold. I'll give this method a try though! Thank you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts