Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I've noticed when doing normal running round ( 1/2 to 1 hour ) I have no coolant loss but going on a long haul of around 200 - 300 miles I,m losing about a 1/4 litre of coolant . Can't see any signs where it's going tried new expansion tank cap any ideas where to check next ? cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
water pump,inlet manifold gasket,egr cooler,radiator. remember even though it has antifreeze in the coolant it still dries up and can leave no signs of water trail.look for crusty antifreeze deposits.
also theres a water rail that runs across the top of the turbo with a bleed screw...just changed the gasket on mine fairly recently,this is on my 1.9cdti 150 engine.

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
As daft and disgusting as it sounds if you see or think a pool of water is from your engine and you have anti - freeze in it if you taste a litle on you tongue it tastes sweet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As daft and disgusting as it sounds if you see or think a pool of water is from your engine and you have anti - freeze in it if you taste a litle on you tongue it tastes sweet.
That's the problem never seen anything leaking out :(

·
11,789 Posts
Not if it has Bitrex in it, the bitterest substance known to man. That tastes positively evil and stays with you for hours.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not sure if this is related but I've never heard the rad fan come on in 2 years of owning the car , did put opcom on to test and ran it but that's the only time it's been on

·
Registered
102 Posts
not sure if this is related but I've never heard the rad fan come on in 2 years of owning the car , did put opcom on to test and ran it but that's the only time it's been on
diesels always take a while to get hot, as compared to there petrol rivals, as one of the technical terms for diesel combustion is that they are thermally efficient as in the combustion process creates very little heat as to what a petrol engine does.
as long as the fan worked when actuated via the scantool then all should be ok.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
diesels always take a while to get hot, as compared to there petrol rivals, as one of the technical terms for diesel combustion is that they are thermally efficient as in the combustion process creates very little heat as to what a petrol engine does.
as long as the fan worked when actuated via the scantool then all should be ok.
I never really looked in to it because the gauge never seemed to get over 90 and spends most of the time ( once warmed up ) at around 80

·
Premium Member
9,781 Posts
Anywhere between 80 and 90 is fine, if it starts to climb up to the 100 with out dropping occasionally something isn't quite right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting discussion. Mine goes up to 90-95, then the rad fan kicks in and it goes back to 80-90. And it continues like that. Nothing to worry about, right?

·
11,789 Posts
I live in hope of mine achieving 90° then my feet might just turn from blue back to pink again when I am driving.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in hope of mine achieving 90° then my feet might just turn from blue back to pink again when I am driving.
When I use the car after my wife I always have to turn heater to windscreen , first thing she does is put it on feet :LOL:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts