Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
I've got a slow coolant leak on my Zafira B 1.7 CDTI ecoflex engine. It's the A17DTH (According to the keycard with the car, VIN matches, etc, but see comment below) and I'm slowly losing coolant, only a half inch up to an inch from the expansion vessel mainly on short drives.
I did a 400-600 round trip last week and it didn't move much, but in town driving, stopping, starting, etc, it seems to drop more. At the moment I'm topping it up and checking it before each journey (been there before on previous cars!) with pre-mix coolant matching what I did a coolant replacement previously.

Looking all over for leaks, had the car on ramps and nothing at the rear or pulley side of engine and nothing from the top hoses, expansion tank, etc, so nothing obvious.
Underneath I've got spots of pink coolant around the turbo and exhaust. Following the drips up I can see they're above the turbo but from there I'm struggling.

Looking from the top of the engine bay, it looks like it's in the EGR cooler area, which would make sense, suspect either the pipe or the cooler itself since it has a water supply.
Easiest way to diagnose/determine and fix?
I'm going to guess taking the turbo air intake off as that's the rigid plastic pipe that gets in the way of where I want to see?

The leak I suspect is where I've highlighted on this photo:
zaf2.jpg

So getting to it under there will be interesting!

To the right of this on the side of the engine is:
zaf1.jpg

What is this pipe that i've highlighted and what is above it/connected to it? As could this be leaking from underneath? (No idea of any coolant in this area)

The other bit, is my engine is listed as A17DTH. Why is this engine so uncommon and difficult to find any info on? Almost like it's a misprint but it most definitely is the one on all my documentation. Is it just similar to other A17DT engines (and H just a slight variant) so I can find the right engine diagrams, etc, to verify what I'm looking at?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
14,835 Posts
The big rubber pipe with the wire support is a boost hose, goes into the throttle body,.. the egr set up is roughly the same on the A17 engines, i think the coolant comes in from the heater matrix then goes through the cooler and out via a pipe that connects down by the turbo, the pipe from the heater matrix runs under where you have highlighted on the pictures,..
https://vauxhall.7zap.com/en/car/a05/g/4/16-0/

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thanks Andy, planning on this weekend to dig into it, take as much off the top so I can get access and find where the leak is coming from so I can then order parts later.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I've found it.
Removed the turbo intake air pipe, the rigid plastic one and got a little bit more of a view, realised it was the other side. So took battery and battery base off, got to the side of the thermostat pipe, and it looks like it was leaking from there.
Removed thermostat rubber hose, checked that thoroughly and it was fine to my surprise. Looked behind it, it's the metal pipe directly behind it attached to the engine. Looks like this runs to the heater matrix then to the front and down the front of the block itself.
Can anyone identify that pipe as I'm searching over the parts lists and cannot quite identify it.
Going to be a pain to replace too as will need so much taken off it.

Possibly comes from the matrix to the egr cooler then, so will probably need to take the egr and cooler off, the boost hose pictured above that Andy identified for me and get at the pipe there. Part code or part name would be great if anyone can identify it.
Screenshot_2019-11-09_19-05-48.png

The metal pipe runs where I've drawn the red line:
Screenshot_2019-11-09_19-12-11.png

So behind the coolant pipe that is just below the red line on the photo.

Doesn't look like I'm using the car in a while though :( I was going to bodge the plastic pipe until I replaced but metal pipes don't bodge quite as well!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For anyone else, I've identified the pipe as:
GM part 55581546 "PIPE,ASSY.,THREE WAY,WATER DISTRIBUTION"
Which is a dealer type part, but online https://www.genuinepartsearch.co.uk/ have them (They're a trading name of autovaux) so I've got that ordered. Looks like it's going to be fun replacing though with all the parts to remove.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CAUTION! That pipe is one heck of a thing to replace. I'm 3 days in and have now resigned myself to the fact you can't replace that pipe without a whole host of problems.

The pipe 55581546 looks like it's fitted BEFORE the exhaust manifold and turbo are attached to the car as it goes parallel to the block behind them. Due to the angle of the pipe you can't slide it out so looked like you'd have to remove both (so turbo removal, which means exhaust and cat removal, oil lines to turbo, turbo head shield, etc) which is turning into a huge job.

If you want a laugh, watch my progress on youtube:
Problem isn't solved, video2 coming shortly.

The pipe that's damaged:
coolantpipe-diagram_heatermatrix.png

Current state of my Zafira:
(battery and tray removed, thermostat housing removed, egr cooler and actuator removed, exhaust manifold bolts all off, airbox off, turbo air intake pipes off, front crossmember (bonnet catch) removed, Aux/v-belt removed, a/c compressor unbolted and moved (but still on the flexi hoses))

zaf_currentIMG_0570.JPG

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, almost 2 weeks since I started this and it's finally done and back together.
Radiator didn't need to come off (Was avoiding this as didn't want to release a/c refrigerant), however it's such a difficult job, and you have to actually cut the new pipe to make it fit if you aren't doing the whole job of taking turbo, exhaust manifold off, etc.

When you replace the bypass pipe, you MUST replace the o-ring's, these seem to get misshaped after use and leaked first attempt at this, so had to completely disassemble it again and replace those o-rings which would have been easier to do on the first attempt.

NOT a job for the faint-hearted and probably not something I'd do again, though garage costs would have been high for this one due to the labour involved.

The parts used were:
55581546 - Coolant thermostat bypass pipe (Genuine Vauxhall part)
97252585 - O-ring seal (Genuine Vauxhall part)
97240798 - O-ring seal (Genuine Vauxhall part)
SAEJ20R3 Flexible Radiator Coolant Pipe (19mm x 28mm (3/4 Inch))

Final video on my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/andybrown21/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts