Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, after another weekend working on the car I'm left with a small problem. Went to remove the down pipe and snapped one of the two bolts clean off. From what I can tell you can't get the manifold off with the engin in situ on the offside so do I just snap the other bolt and then drill them out later?

Also, should there be so much oil sitting around my oil cooler :eh

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark - oil round the cooler normal? It looks like that's a coolant pipe entering the rear of the V into a huge puddle of oil!!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Three questions I need answering before I can do much more :

1. Anything I can do about about the oil pressure regulator bolt sheering off completely?
2. Where do I get a replacement timing belt cover
3. What's the cause of that puddle of oil around the cooler

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

L

·
0 Posts
1. Pass

2. I have a timing belt cover spare I think. :)
If I have, it's yours.

3.The oil accumulation may well be from the rockers that were leaking on the inside edge?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lifesaver, nice one.

There's an awful lot of oil - an inch of oil escaping from rocker covers? If so then I suspect oil pressure regulator which means I'm knackered because (see 1!)

Thanks
James

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
JSeaman said:
Lifesaver, nice one.

There's an awful lot of oil - an inch of oil escaping from rocker covers? If so then I suspect oil pressure regulator which means I'm knackered because (see 1!)

Thanks
James
Hello,

Where is the oil pressure regulator located? can you get a tap and die into there?

James.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I would say high oil pressure the cause as it looks like the heat ex pipes have been leaking oil.
When you say you have sheared the oil regulator bolt off - has it just rounded off? or snapped the head off? have you got a pic of it?

You can change the oil pump on the omega in situ - someone on here has a 3.0 he is stripping - the oil pump is the same. think i have got a new oil pump gasket - you would just need a new crank bolt. they are EFFIN Tight though 250NM Plus angle!!!!!!!and you need to lock the crank (from the pulley) My mate bought the factory tool when the plant closed - so will help out if need be.

JSeaman said:
Three questions I need answering before I can do much more :

1. Anything I can do about about the oil pressure regulator bolt sheering off completely?
2. Where do I get a replacement timing belt cover
3. What's the cause of that puddle of oil around the cooler

Any answers would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Geff - I think there's a pic in the latest how2 guide (Can't remember for sure though!), hang on ....

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, step 73!

Thanks for that offer - sounds like a bit of a sod to do! What's the damage likely to occur due to high pressure? Pump overworked, is that it?

James - don't know if it'll tap, never had to do that. If someone says it can be done then I'll have a go!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
As you can see - the damage is already done mate- every seal is leaking cam seals, front crank seal both head gaskets and so on.
I would suggest you get some lads around take the engine out and re-build it with new gaskets/ bolts.
With the engine out I can strip & rebuild it in a day (if someone cleans the parts that is ) have you got a garage / shed you can do the engine in out of the weather?

Won't charge you (one off lol) otherwise this thread will be going on for years untill you get fed up with Omega's and go out and buy a Volvo:lmao:

JSeaman said:
Yup, step 73!

Thanks for that offer - sounds like a bit of a sod to do! What's the damage likely to occur due to high pressure? Pump overworked, is that it?

James - don't know if it'll tap, never had to do that. If someone says it can be done then I'll have a go!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lmao: I can certainly get some guys round to pull the engine. So what are we looking at then

a) Both head gaskets
b) Both cam cover gaskets
c) Both exhaust manifold gaskets
d) Crank seal (Sounds like a b*stard!)
e) Oil pump

That it?

How on earth does that regulator bolt get sorted?!

Really appreciate your offer of help Geff - very kind of you indeed! :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, and it wouldn't be a Volvo - far too practical. Seems that everything I buy ends up being a regular f**k up so I might as well buy something fun :lmao:

R

·
0 Posts
Geffd said:
...... otherwise this thread will be going on for years untill you get fed up with Omega's and go out and buy a Volvo:lmao:
Oi !!!!! I heard that!!!

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Hi James, I have a spare pump - I wouldn't use it on an engine but we could strip it and make a good one out of both of them. How do you get it out, I have got the breaker bar of breaker bars - huge thing gets anything out.
If you can get it out - need to change front and rear crankseal - there is one normally on sale on ebay under Saab V6 - selling oil pump gasket, front and rear seals - the original vent box gasket and a saab/cav sump gasket - think they want £20 - the rear crank seals are a bit pricey so might be worth it.
Can you get it out on sat?(the engine that is) I could come down sunday with an engine stand and sort it. got a full top end gasket set you can have cheap. oh got a spare exhaust manifold too oh sure i still have a sump gasket.

If you get it out we could remove No 5 piston and see if the rings have stuck - I'm sure they have - will need 2 new bolts though

Need to know so i can get all the tools and spares off my mate (all stored at his place keeps the wife off my back lol)

so the bits you will need are:

2 con-rod bolts (for No 5 rod)
1 x crank bolt (i can get both with discount but will have to order)
1 oil pickup pipe seal
1 oil pump gasket (i have got one you can have)
head set (i have one)
front&rear crankseals

it would be a good time to clean and re-fit all the pistons - but you need new bolts so will leave that up to you

let me know

[email protected]

JSeaman said:
:lmao: I can certainly get some guys round to pull the engine. So what are we looking at then

a) Both head gaskets
b) Both cam cover gaskets
c) Both exhaust manifold gaskets
d) Crank seal (Sounds like a b*stard!)
e) Oil pump

That it?

How on earth does that regulator bolt get sorted?!

Really appreciate your offer of help Geff - very kind of you indeed! :Cool2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts