Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This started a few days ago, I noticed that when slowing to a stop occasionally I struggled to shift into 1st, the clutch pedal felt a lot softer than usual when it happened. I checked the brake fluid the next day and topped up slightly and it was fine but again today I'm struggling to shift into reverse and 1st sometimes with the other gears being a little difficult at times, again the clutch pedal goes quite soft and the gears engage with the clutch quite low. Does this sound like the CSC?

I have a feeling it may be leaking, I can't see any signs of it leaking from below the bell housing. I last changed the clutch about 2 years ago but the CSC failed again 1 year later. It's probably due to go as I use the van for parcel deliveries so it gets hammered. Also does anyone have a part code for the 3 screws for the CSC, I know I'm going to need replacement ones because the hex holes were quite rounded last time on them.

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
It does sound like csc. Mine went the same before it finally popped a month later.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Got the gearbox off, I can't see any signs it was leaking and clutch probably still had 10,000 miles left on it. I can only think it must be the clutch master cylinder? I did check but access not great, I couldn't see any obvious leak. I did have problems bleeding it last time, I had to reverse bleed it via a caliper I think. I just wouldn't bleed with my eezibleed kit.

I'll replace the clutch and csc anyway since the gearbox is off, the flywheel looks a bit iffy. Probably 8 or 9 teeth play either way and I can rock it back and forth and it makes metal banging noise, I'm guessing this is goosed? not sure how much play is normal on these but its at least 3 or 4mm back and forth.

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
You often dont see any leak in the early stage of failure. Air can enter but fluid wont pass to the outside. I wouldn't rule out csc failure just because you see no fluid leak.

@andyl @M32Guy what do you guys reckon.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I'll replace the clutch and csc anyway since the gearbox is off, the flywheel looks a bit iffy. Probably 8 or 9 teeth play either way and I can rock it back and forth and it makes metal banging noise, I'm guessing this is goosed? not sure how much play is normal on these but its at least 3 or 4mm back and forth.
Sounds as if the flywheel has had it. Here's a link to a you tube video on how to check the flywheel.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fitted a new DMF and Clutch kit, the van now is quite lumpy when starting, once it's running it seems fine, clutch great and smooth gear changes. I have even put a new starter on and it's still the same, it takes around 2 seconds but sounds very lumpy, usually when I change the starter motor it starts pretty much instantly and you get the nice sound a new starter gives. Any ideas what could be wrong? Iv'e also swapped the battery from my car to rule the battery being the issue out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just tried swapping the cam and crankshaft sensors to rule them out, also changed the fuel filter. Not sure what to do now, just wonder if maybe the belt has jumped a tooth when I did the flywheel, but surely it would run like a bag of nails? it sounds like it is struggling to crank fast enough.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have some live data from opcom, the battery drops to 8v when cranking, the fuel pressure looks like it's reached pretty quickly. To me it looks like the battery is the issue?

Opcom Live Data

1 - 9 of 9 Posts