Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I’ve got a Vauxhall Omega 2.5TD year 2000 with a manual gearbox which has done just over 101,000 miles.

The problem I’m having is if I start the engine and try to put it into gear it just won’t go in, it doesn’t crash it just physically won’t go into gear.

If I put it into gear and press the clutch down and then start the car its ok and the car doesn’t jerk forward.

In a little experiment I started the car and tried to put it into gear and as usual it wouldn’t go in, I kept a steady pressure on the gear lever and turned the engine off and sure enough it went straight in no problem at all.

Once the car is on the move changing gear is no problem.

I guess I could try bleeding the clutch although I have to say there doesn’t seem to be excessive travel on the pedal and if it was that I would have expected to have the problem all the time, not just when starting up.

I’m just guessing but could it be the slave cylinder packing up.

To me its almost as though the gearbox is not quite disengaging from the flywheel and when the engine is started the gearbox is turning very slightly with it and as a result its just enough to stop it going into gear.

As anyone got any ideas???

If I need to replace the slave cylinder I’m thinking because of the work involved in getting to it because its inside the bellhousing would it be prudent to replace the rest of the cutch assembly ie friction plate and pressure plate assembly.

Is there anything else which would need replacing like the flywheel?????

What type of flywheel do they fit to the Omegas?????

Does anyone have any ideas on a suitable make of clutch assembly and/or flywheel for the job??????

Thanks to anyone who can help

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,124 Posts
Bleed the system first, then look for leaks on the slave cyl (wet on the bottom of the bell housing) & master cyl (wet around the rubber boot) as well as the pipes & hose, I'm sure this will cure it, but the problem will return as there is air getting into the system.
If you have a leak from the master cyl then fit a new cylinder or seal kit, if the slave cyl is leaking you have to remove the gearbox.
If you remove the gearbox then fit a complete clutch (friction plate, pressure plate, release bearing) the fly wheel should be OK unless badly scored or cracked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello DKT1

Thanks for your reply, I'll try bleeding the system first as you said, I don't hold a lot of hope out mind as I'm not having to top the
reservoir up.

·
Premium Member
3,295 Posts
Hello DKT1

Thanks for your reply, I'll try bleeding the system first as you said, I don't hold a lot of hope out mind as I'm not having to top the
reservoir up.
Classic leakage sign, check slave/master cylinder and lines/hoses.

If you buy eazibleed kit you can put the fluid under pressure and check for a leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,124 Posts
Hello DKT1

reservoir up
Sounds like a master cylinder problem, they can, when the seal is worn, let air in passed the seal as you let your foot up, but not show much signs of leaking when under pressure.
You can usually get away with a repair kit if it is?
As it's just the seal worn out and the bore is perfectly OK.
You'll need to check the manufacturer of the cylinder before searching for a seal kit, as there are usually more than one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Guys

Sorry for the delay in replying, I’ve had problems with my other car and couldn’t have them both down at the same time.

Thank you for your ideas DKT1, you may just have a point about the master cylinder because I have been experiencing brake pedal creep for some time ie if I apply a gentle constant pressure on the brake pedal it will gradually go down nearly to the floor so it just maybe affecting the clutch as the master cylinder on the omega’s does both the clutch and brakes.

If the brakes are applied as normal they work fine.

I’ll let you know how I get on just as soon as I can get to it as I’m still trying to sort the problem on my second car, they say it never rains unless it pours.

Thanks again

Clive

1 - 6 of 6 Posts