Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my clutch may finally be on it's way out, generally smooth enough for gear changes but feels like it's losing power in a very odd way sometimes, very strong acceleration including at higher speeds but in 5th as it made its way up towards 120 (about 5000 revs) it lost a bit, wasnt struggling at all, just faded then caught again, can the clutch slip at 110?

P.S. Obviously I was merely testing the vehicles capabilities and as such no law court would convict me! :bananasmi

·
Premium Member
9,195 Posts
would the handbrake test not work?

put it in first n try to pul off (ooer) with the handbrake on.
if it doesnt stall, your clutch is poorly. lol

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will first show in highest gear. Need to see if revs rise at all without speedo doing so.
Yeah did that a little, revving without tranferring it to the wheels and accelerating...lucky I have my new clutch and flywheel ready lol Need a thrust bearing put in at the same time and I guess I may as well sort out the timing chain too as the engine will be out. :bananasmi

G

·

The way I do it is stick it in fourth, rev it, and hold revs whilst dropping clutch.
If it stalls quick it's ok, if it slips at all, worn.
Decent clutch would stall it very quickly.

Chris - Clutch pedal level with brake pedal? May help slightly, for now if it's a little low.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

No, that would just prove that my 3.0 V6 has sufficient power to pull away with the poorly handbrake on lol :bananasmi

·
Zimmer GT for me!
Black, Astra 1.9 CDTI "Caravan" (apparently).
3,513 Posts
I may as well sort out the timing chain too as the engine will be out. :bananasmi
?

If you have a Vauxhall/GM V6 in there, you won't need the engine out to replace the clutch, flywheel, nor yet the timing 'belt'.
If you've got a timing chain, then you ought to take that old Ford V6 out and fit a proper engine. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
4th gear slowly up hill, it should want to stall, if the revs just climb the clutch is slipping, look out for any clutch judder too which would also indicate the clutch is on it's last legs.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
?

If you have a Vauxhall/GM V6 in there, you won't need the engine out to replace the clutch, flywheel, nor yet the timing 'belt'.
If you've got a timing chain, then you ought to take that old Ford V6 out and fit a proper engine. ;)
haha yes timing belt even...no I know you can drop the front subframe and just about get to the clutch that way (almost sounds like I have the slightest clue about what I'm talking about? LOL) no idea how to change the timing belt though...

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,513 Posts
haha yes timing belt even...no I know you can drop the front subframe and just about get to the clutch that way (almost sounds like I have the slightest clue about what I'm talking about? LOL) no idea how to change the timing belt though...
;)
All the info for those jobs is available right here on VXON. Check out the 'How2' section. :up:

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm...they dont seem to have a "how to" change a mutant Omega engine in a Cavalier section! So basically, you can change the timing belt/tensioners on a V6 Omega engine without taking it out the car? Would that also be true with more limited engine compartment space do you think?

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,513 Posts
Hmm...they dont seem to have a "how to" change a mutant Omega engine in a Cavalier section! So basically, you can change the timing belt/tensioners on a V6 Omega engine without taking it out the car? Would that also be true with more limited engine compartment space do you think?
Just one engine mount and engine upper steady bar to unbolt, then it appears to work similarly to the Omega. Just, as you mentioned, with less space. I haven't changed one completely myself, but it won't be long before I do. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have a feeling I may well need some help...and may as well throw in sorting out the clutch, flywheel and thrust bearing too... :D

·
Zimmer GT for me!
3,513 Posts
Have a feeling I may well need some help...and may as well throw in sorting out the clutch, flywheel and thrust bearing too... :D
You'll need this sort of help.
Trolley jack, bag of spanners, socket set, torx drives, £100 cam pulley alignment kit, tea, best mate, swear box, the list goes on! ;)

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You'll need this sort of help.
Trolley jack, bag of spanners, socket set, torx drives, £100 cam pulley alignment kit, tea, best mate, swear box, the list goes on! ;)
Best mate that knows how to do the job...:D Damn I need a new best mate :crying_2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts