Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple one I'm sure.

Now I have checked the Haynes manual and it doesn't list individual fuses.

The fuse matrix on th fuse flap doesn't seem to list them either.

Also a little strange that (according to the time on the clock) it blew when I was not in the car?

Help would be appreciated as I am driving up to Cheshire for the first game of the season on Saturday morning!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well there is a short somewhere in the car as there are blue sparks a flyin when I try to put a new fuse in.

Looks like no radio for the journey tomorrow.

My only thought is that the old wiring from the old electric aerial may be causing it. Need to get the radio casing out and work out which wires in the stereo connector are for the old electrics for the aerial.

Good idea?? Any clues?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fuse was blown yes. I don't get as far as putting the new one in as when I start to put it in I get blue sparks to I tend to drop it like a big girlie!

The 5A fuse in the back of the radio is still intact mind.

·
Premium Member
1,657 Posts
Make sure all doors, boot, bonnet are shut except the drivers as you need to get to the fuse box....push the door switch fully in (in the door pillar as this works the courtesy light) then try and insert the fuse..make sure it is the correct rating. If it still sparks it means something is live rather than off on a switch ((or you have a short)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff, I'll try it in the morning. Got the right Ampage ok. I guess it is all a matter of narrowing down the fault.

Would be better if it was in a switch I guess.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
if you think it could be related to the electric aerial, check its earthing point in the boot :)is your a saloon or a hatch back?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you think it could be related to the electric aerial, check its earthing point in the boot :)is your a saloon or a hatch back?

Hatch. The earth is secure.

I cut a load of wires out and taped up the two ends. I traced it back and it is all bundled up with the central locking and lighting then it goes too far for me to reach.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Hatch. The earth is secure.

I cut a load of wires out and taped up the two ends. I traced it back and it is all bundled up with the central locking and lighting then it goes too far for me to reach.
Radio loom should not be attached to the cetral ocking loom at all.

1 maybe 2 wires for the electric ariel will be in the floor loom. the rest is a seperate loom John.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi the electric ariel shouldn't be live until the radio is turned on i would guess you have mixed up live and earth somewhere or the radio is biffed can't go wrong with vx wiring two live (one switched one perm) and an earth i would remove the loom from the radio and fit the fuse if it still blows then its not the radio and look else where like the fag lighter (very common for terminals to touch) again disconnect the wiring and test the fuse again then eliminate each item in turn like the interior lights etc
regards
Steve

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I put the fuse in with all the doors shut etc and it worked so we had sounds! Which was handy as the M6 was screwed and it took 4 hours to get to Altrincham!

Thanks for all your help folks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, well I checked the courtesy light and that is fine. I believe the boot light is on the same fuse but haven't looked yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts