Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have aquired a pair of metal V6 rocker covers to replace the leaky plastic ones on the Cav.

The person I got the from looks to have tried cleaning them , but there are still quite a bit of grime on them.

I tried a degreaser, but it's baked on.

Would light sandblasting do any damage?

Also, whats the significance of these boys?

The one on the front bank is caved in

Should I be concerned about the state of the inners?

cheers

Lee

·
22,199 Posts
No idea what those bits are, but i dont think that one should be 'caved in'.

Best way to clean them up would either be an acid bath or get them blasted.

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i would give a go with the old wire wheel on bench grinder, and wire brush drill bit to clean in the gaps :) (what i would do anyway)
Want something a bit less time consuming, and a more even finish.

plus being alloy, I think too coarse a bristle might damage them

·
VxON Elite
1,406 Posts
hmm never heard of that before i use gunk all the time and it never lets me down even on the tuffest grease give it a try mate .

·
Registered
150 Posts
An engine overhaul/rebuild facility should be able to blast clean those for you for a modest cost and repair the damage. I had the Granada's V6 inlet manifold done after seeing the finish on the cylinder heads when I had the hardened valve seats put in. Cost me £10 iirc and came up like new inside and out. They use fine ground coconut shell as a blasting medium rather than sand so no worries about residual sand causing engine damage. Well worth it imo.

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Taken a while, but I got them looking something like it

getting the gaskets tomorrow , fitting the weekend (hopefully)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Looks good mate. Think i'm going to have to try get a pair for mine as after new gaskets fitted etc they both bloody leak again.

·
Banned
72 Posts
yeah i would of said gunk and a wire brush as was said before. i will soon be getting myown sandblasting unit and will be using aliminium oxide instead of sand. Wont blast it so badly then. I need this for my polishing projects as im trying to start a small polishing business. Using a fine aliminium oxide grit wont be as harsh on the matal as sand and should bring everything back to shiney new. But may have to give the coconut thing a go too lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts