Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to clean my icv, throttle body and the breather body as my vectra 1996 1.6 16v is stalling at traffic etc! now my question is can any post a diagram or maybe some pictures so that i know im doing it correctly!
many thanks
danwj7

·
Registered
21 Posts
hello mate ive just done mine. you will find that most instructions you get are for 1.8 or 2.0 vectras. i have just done my 1.6 16v and its different to the instructions. i found it quite awkward as its around the back of the engine. you will need to remove the inlet manifold to get to the throttle body. i got there in the end but i must say it is fiddely. good luck anyway mate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just done mine, info as follows.

1. remove spark plug cover (2 hex bolts)
2. remove the 2 10mm exposed bolts and spacers that hold the front of the inlet manifold
3. remove the 2 10mm long bolts that secure the wiring harness to the top of the inlet manifold.
4. carefully move the wiring harness out of the way, and remove the 3 (poss 4) 10mm nuts that secure the rear of the inlet manifold
5. on the right hand end of the inlet manifold (as stood at front) make a note of all connected vacum hoses and remove them (bit of masking tape will help for noting each one).
6. on rear right hand side of manifold, remove the 19mm nut that secures vacum feed for brake servo and take out of the way.
7. on the right hand side, remove the plate and vacum unit from the end of the manifold.
8. locate the 2 spring clips that hold the rubber sleve (connecting inlet manifold and throttle body) and move the top one down to meet the other one (use a pair of pump pliers or long nosed pliers to press both sides in)
9. once spring clip has been moved, you should then be able to remove the inlet manifold (taking care not to damage the top gasket)
10. locate the circlip / jubilee clip that holds the big plastic pipe that connects from the airbox (round the rear of engine) to the throttle body, and remove it (mine had a strange clip that just required levering with a screwdriver to remove).
11. once done, look where the rubber sleeve is and you can see 4 torx bolts, remove these and the main part of the throttle body can be removed from the rear. (disconnect the wiring for the ICV and the throttle switch)
12. remove the small clip securing the top of the throttle cable and rotate the throttle by hand, until you can remove the throttle cable.
13. you should now have a very dirty throttle body in your hand.

Clean the throttle body fully, both ends and clean the butterfly as well. Remove the ICV valve, (held on with 2 t20 torx bolts. large solenoid arrangement with the oval base where the bolts go - dont remove the TPS) and clean this as well.

clean the connecting rubber sleeve and the mounting still fitted to the car.

once complete, re assemble icv valve and throttle body.

If you have damaged the paper gasket, you can make another one yourself by using thin card (cerial boxes are ideal, but i used a paper plate) and place on the throttle body, and LIGHTLY tap around the edge with a small hammer (or a socket extension bar) so that the edge cuts the thin card to the correct shape, then repeat on the inner edge. then tap in to the bolt holes to cut them out too. A bit of patience is needed, but once done you have a perfect gasket. (and no need for the gasket-goo !!)

re assembly is reversal of removal, connect the cables to the throttle body before fastening it to the car as its easier now than later. Make sure you reconnect the vacum pipes to their original positions and make sure the vacum hose for the brake servo is tight (you dont want to forget that one !!).

Hope that helps.

John AKA Fatboy_JT

1 - 4 of 4 Posts