Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I completed this job back in late February, Early march 2006. Below I have put in some of the steps to carry out this job.

This would technically rate as a Haynes, 3 out of 5 spanners, as you need to remove the plenum chamber and require a good socket set with a selection of star drive, Torx sockets.

Standard safety advice applies, such as disconnect the battery, etc. No wiring connections need to be seperated.

It is an idea to place some rags in the inlet trumpets, to prevent anything falling in.

This job compliments the Cam Cover gasket change job well, and is best done at the same time to reduce the chance of re-failure.

The link below, provides a picture of the Ecotec bit and where the breather vents to. This is best replaced if it is blocked.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....light=breather

1 - Remove the scuttle.
2 - Remove the plenum chamber, as this will need a clean as well.
3 - Using carb cleaner, or paint thinners (work just as well) clean the plenum, around the throttle body especially.
4 - I then removed the black ECOTEC bit (1 torx bolt) and prised this off the plenum, blast it through with either some carb cleaner, or a combination of thinners and tap water/the high pressure attachment on a hose pipe.
5 - Blast the ECOTEC bit through with WD40, just to dry it out.
6 - Remove the big black, dual outlet breather pipe, which is located on top of the breather box.
7 - Attach this to your hose point on your tap, and blast through with water, you'll be surpised at the amount of crud that comes out.
8 - Spray some carb cleaner into the breather box, NOT TOO MUCH though.
9 - Use a screw driver, place into the breater box and scrape as much of the gunk from the neck of the pipe as you can.
10 - Don't go too deep, about 1 1/2 inches is enough.
11 - Remove the small breater pipe and use a pin to clear the little hole that is in the centre of this pipe neck.
12 - Blast the small pipe through with carb cleaner, or thinners and water, spray in some WD40 to dry it out again.
13 - Re-assemble, replace the O rings on the inlet bridge.

Hope this helps,

James

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello,

Just some bits to add.

REMOVING THE PLENUM

You need to disconnect the Throttle position sensor and the Idle Air control valve needs to be removed.

1 - Remove the trumpets from the front of the plenum
2 - Remove the IACV, this just pulls out, the pipe from this can sit to one side for now
3 - Cut the metal tabs holding the vacuum pipes on, and pop the pipes off.
4 - Remove the torx bolts on the plenum
5 - Remove the torx bolts holding the egr assembly on
6 - Lift the plenum away and clean as detailed above.

REMOVING THE BLACK BIT

The Ecotec cover prises off with a screwdriver, under this is a torx bolt that you remove, simply prise from the back upwards and backwards, if that makes sense.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
REMOVING THE SCUTTLE

Easy to do, a series of plastic tabs lock the scuttle in place.

1 - Remove the rubber sealing strip at the front of the scuttle, place to one side.
2 - Undo the torx bolt on the right hand side of the car, drivers side on RHD vehicles.
3 - Using a screwdriver, carefully prise the rubber seal at the bottom of the screen up.
4 - Using another screwdriver, undo each tab in turn.
5 - Scuttle is in two halves, these will seperate away and pull forward.

On refitting, smear some vaseline around the wiper spindle area, as this area can leak on refitment of the scuttle.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CLEANING THE BLACK ECOTEC BREATHER CONDUIT

Decided to do some random work on the Omega today. I tend to clean the breathers every three months or so, just to keep them clear, as they can clog quite easily I have discovered. Anyway, one of the small pipes on my black ecotec breather conduit, has been blocked for a while. I cleared it in the following way.

1 - Soak in a hot bowl of water with some washing up liquid or gunk for half an hour
2 - Clear the holes in the round piece with a pin.
3 - Blow the pipes through with a hose on high pressure jet.
4 - Spray through with WD40 to clear out the water
5 - Re-fit to car

1 - 4 of 4 Posts