Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I could but for £65 I don't mind buying a press because it's here for the future.
Did you return that set of bearing adaptors you bought cos I'll probably be looking for a set of them too?

Reactions: andy_v

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
oh deffo get the press, bargain at that price, no i kept both sets :rolleyes:

might come across a cheap press me self, thats local (y)

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Went for plan C instead and bought a front wheel drive bearing removal kit for £32.
Got the bearings, just waiting on the puller kit now.

Apparently they are the same as the Corse bearings.
I think a big hammer will come out of the toolbox.

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
good luck fella, ya need a hammer like thors and arms like popeye :ROFLMAO:

whats this puller kit like ya got?

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I now have the bearing removal kit.
It weighs about 4 stone!
Photos once I open it.

No issue getting the bearing out, I have lots of very big hammers but I'm hoping the kit will pull it out and it can be used with an impact gun.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tool pron

The only thing I don't like is the plain washers which I might replace with axial thrust bearings. (I know the washers are supposed to go one each end).

Comes with 4 collars and 4 stepped thrust plates, then the selection of thrust washers to go against the bearing.

If it does the job it will have saved £170 on the garage costs and gain me a huge pile of brownie points as a bonus.

·
Super Moderator
14,145 Posts
exactly the same as i have, only mine didnt have a small enough die in it, whats the smallest in that set, 55mm is mine.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The smallest thrust plate easily fits inside the bearing so that it will pull on the middle to get the bearing out.
Got one that fits perfectly to push the new one in.
Certainly looks well made and substantial.
The photo of the kit you bought looked different.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Work is underway.
Can't get the silly torx bolt out that holds the ABS sensor at the moment and the bottom arm is putting up a fight, but other than that everything is going to plan.
I have a huge Guinness pub umbrella to put up later, clamped in the workmate to stop me getting too cooked in the sun.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
And around 3 hours later everything is off, hub cleaned up as well as the drive flange.
The hub is different to other Chevrolet hubs I had seen on YouTube. Firstly the driveshaft nut is the peened type and the bearing kit comes with a split pin. Fortunately there are two recesses on the shaft so I can reuse the nuts.
The bearing also comes with two circlips but the hub only uses one. The bearing sits against a flange on the inside and has to come out the way it goes in.
The wheel bearing tool I bought worked perfectly after I had walloped it with a 1 1/2" socket to get it moving.
The bearing is very rough when you turn it but the grease is still plentiful so why it has failed is a mystery. The only hint is there is some corrosion suggesting the seal has failed.

My makeshift sun shelter worked a treat.

As expected the inner race had to be cut off.

Ready to put back together in the morning. Got to pick some thread lock up and 6 new bolts to refit the back plates.
Going to pop the drive flange in the freezer tonight to help it push back in tomorrow.

Then repeat the whole thing to do the other side on the hottest day of the year.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Out of curiosity once I had cleanedf the hub and drive flange up I took one of the bearings out of the freezer and I could push it into the hub part way by hand so freezing it certainly helps. Then tried the drive flange into the bearing and that went in too by hand a short way. So now the drive flange is in the freezer too.

Reactions: Valer and andy_v

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Looking at the photo of the outer race of the bearing there are an awful lot of score marks which I couldn't see when looking at them on my phone.
Waiting for the rain to pass over before getting all my tools back out of the garage to crack on with it.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
One done.
The tool works brilliantly with frozen wheel bearings and a frozen hub.
Got the other side removed ready to knock the flange out in the morning, replace the bearing then get it all back together in the afternoon.
Then perhaps I can drive down to the seaside and enjoy the sea air.

·
13,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
All done.
Our Spark has its sparkle back and the freezer is free of vehicle parts again.
Not bad really because bearings were £12 each and the removal tool set was £36 which means a saving of £160 on what the garage quoted.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts