Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick search on the above message from the MID, seams its the sensor goes a lot?

Had the above message come on during a motorway drive, had been going about 30 mins or so @ 60/70mph driving, i canceled it and it went away. Also the "Check" light went out, reapeared about 20 mins later.

Had this message before and topped up with 1 litre of oil, does not appear on short runs. Just checked the dipstick after a 5 min run to the supermarket and the dipstick reads half full, 2 blobs out of the 4!

Booked it in with my bunch of local Vx monkeys to take a look, i asked how much for an Oil & Filter change they said £100 ish!! But its worth asking one the day to get a better deal!:eh

I am hoping its a cheapo sensor glitch?

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
You seem to be loosing too much oil... either a leak or engine problems?

The sensor is protruding inwards from the bottom of the sump, if you are low on oil and drive over a gradient (downhill/uphill), or take sharp turn, you could have the warning come up - even the level is just below normal and not yet critical (e.g. 1 liter missing). Since you ARE low on oil, I don't really see a problem with the sensor... Anyway replacing it is a sump-off job.

Oil&filter change from Vx is around 105.00. BUT the general rule is if you book the car for service anyway, the cost of individual items is lower. e.g. cambelt change is around 300-400 on it's own, or 250-300 if done during service etc. The point is that is you do decide to let Vx to carry a full service on the car, it will probably be only marginally more expensive the jus an oil&filter change ob its own.

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Dipstick reads half full! Do you mean between the min and max markers? If so I think you'll find that's not only O.K, but ideal.

Anyway, changing the filter and oil yourself is a bit cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Masterfit (part of Vx, and you get proper Vauxhall stamp in book) do a minor service which includes oil/filter change for about £50 iirc - I do this annually, usually a couple of months before I take it over to France, as when you break down, the breakdown insurance people want evidence of service history. I can show them annual Vauxhall servicing. And yes, I then do the job properly myself usually a week before going :p

·
Floater
3,596 Posts
i keep getting the 'Oil Lack' warning pop up on mine recently, but having checked it everytime the oil level is fine and there is no sign of a drop in pressure or the like.....

Could mine be a sensor also?

Recently had an Oil change using the correct VX oil aswell....

T

·
0 Posts
markjay said:
Oil&filter change from Vx is around 105.00. BUT the general rule is if you book the car for service anyway, the cost of individual items is lower. e.g. cambelt change is around 300-400 on it's own, or 250-300 if done during service etc. The point is that is you do decide to let Vx to carry a full service on the car, it will probably be only marginally more expensive the jus an oil&filter change ob its own.
I agree with TheBoy
£105! :eh Way too expensive.....Phone up vx dealer and ask for Masterfit price (tho im not sure if all vx dealers offer masterfit option)......you'll find its about £60 cheaper...my local vx dealer when pushed for Masterfit price for oil and filter change quoted £45. (Mind you, you would save about £35 if you did it yourself)
Even on servicing, ask for Masterfit price.....will be lot cheaper than vx standard price plus you still get vx dealer stamp in your service book.
(Tho i think the stamp has 'vx masterfit' on it.....if they use the right one!)
Plus parts used are gen vx ones.
I've have heard that some vx Masterfit garages charge £99 for service and a MOT, tho not quite sure what the 'service' includes.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
89 Posts
last time i got a oil change i used national tyres and exhausts, £35 for filter and oil (fully synthetic) on a 3.0 elite.

T

·
0 Posts
markjay said:
:shame: The fact still remains that I just paid 102.00 to get my done at Vx
Opppsss :shame:
At least you know next time to ask for Masterfit price

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Delbert said:
Dipstick reads half full! Do you mean between the min and max markers? If so I think you'll find that's not only O.K, but ideal.

Anyway, changing the filter and oil yourself is a bit cheaper.
Yes mine is half way on the Markers!

Other Mark if you could check TIS that would be great, i have just noticed something curious tho, the message only seams to appear when driving slow mway speeds (60/65mph)

I have just come back late today from work (had a small drink last night) and came back @ 80 mph most of the way and the message did not appear!!

Strange one, no other simptons, no oil leaks under the car, engine bay and rocket covers clean.

Just about to go to my Vx monkeys to be checked out.

Thanks for replys all, will post Vx thoughts later...

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm sure I read on this very forum somewhere that it's known that the sensor starts moaning at about the half way level. Just run closer to the max level and it'll keep quiet. Apparently VX dealers doing a service will slightly overfill it to keep the level sensor quiet.

Liam

·
Registered
35 Posts
Festerfly said:
i keep getting the 'Oil Lack' warning pop up on mine recently, but having checked it everytime the oil level is fine and there is no sign of a drop in pressure or the like.....

Could mine be a sensor also?

Recently had an Oil change using the correct VX oil aswell....

Sounds similar to mine. Not a problem usually, then as soon as i pull on to a motorway 'oil lack' warning. The oil level is in the middle of the marks on the dip stick and doesnt change. Mine does need an oil change though (being done wednesday)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
This discussion is facinating, but why do so many people drive with the oil level half-full on the dipstick mark, I wonder? Buy 1kg of oil and top up, I say.

L

·
0 Posts
I think the problem lies, for V6 owners, with the fact that this requires 5.5 litres of oil, and oil comes in 5 litres....

If you only put 5 litres in, you will get an oil lack warning. So top it up! :)

I don't recommend buying 1 litre of oil though, damn expensive.
Simply have a spare 5 litre container you use to top up each time.

·
Floater
3,596 Posts
how do you go about geting the update?

***EDIT*** my car has always been on the MAX limit of the dipstick when this OIL LACK problem has shown itself.

LB - note what you mean aboutthe 5.5 litres situation.. nice of VX to sting you for another bottle! lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oil Lack & Oil Level, we talking about the same message here or a differnt one? Mines a 4 pot as well! :rolleyes:

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
Its the same, the text changed depending on the model year.

Any sofwtare update requires Tech2 and TIS to programme it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts