Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Am loving bein an MV6 owner but had this flash up once today! After a little 'enthusiastic' driving:lmao: , I returned to my estate & as I gently accelerated into a side road I heard a sort of 'noisy' gear change at which point it went into limp mode & flashed up the dreaded warning!

Now heres the thing,pulled onto drive & restarted car - no warning!

Gave it half an hour then drove gently around a bit - no warning & box smooth as silk!

Then tested it in sports mode,up & down 1 thro 3, etc etc - no sign of warning or limp mode!

Could this be a one off thing or is further action warranted? Having used the search function the thing would be to check box oil - poss replace oil & filter - but is this necessary ?

Thanks

R

·
0 Posts
I would just check the oil level on this occasion. If it is up to level then I would look at an oil and filter change. If it is low, top up and check in a few days or 100 miles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mr Mac!

Will check it & see what the level is like - my only fear is I treat it as a one off then have the gear box fall out! New to omegas but I hear the auto gearboxes are fairly robust?

T

·
0 Posts
Marks DTM Calib said:
Very robust....

.....you have to check the oil level with the engine running
Not doubting you Mark...but a comp I know, that rents outs Omegas to taxi drivers charges an extra £10/week for an auto version...coz, so they say, it costs them more. Apparently, again so they so, they get more probs with autos than manuals.....
And a question? I'm having engine oil/filter change done this week (at vx...coz its still under warranty and afik they gotta do it for the warranty still to be valid) I read somewhere (i think in manual for the car) that gearbox oil should be changed every 50k miles.....mines now done 54k miles.....shud i get vx to change the gearbox oil as well? or is it ok not to bother?
Cheers

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Dave, mine's done around 80k. It displayed 'Automatic gearbox' for about a year very infrequently, which I put down to sensor glitch. Then, one day, it just went into limp home mode. It did clear after a limp to the local dealer, but after being told it's going to cost around £1000 to fix by the dealer, and subsequent posting here, I decided to change the oil and filter which was a somewhat cheaper option.

So far, so good.

It's up to you, but it seems from here that it's best done at around 50k.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Vx service book says auto gearbox oil change ONLY on hard working cars, i.e. Police, caravan towing, etc. No specified interval for regular used vehicels, indirectly suggesting that Vx thinks the oil should be good for life.

Haynes say change very 70k but again only if the car works hard or if the oil looks bad (strange colour or burnt smell). In principal I wouldn't change at 54k just for the sake of it unless there is a suspected problem e.g. rough change etc.

But find-out first how much Vx want for this, if they are reasonable then maybe just get it done for peace of mind.

Also, Vx should be able to see if there are any stored error codes which may give a clue to what happened.

T

·
0 Posts
Thanx for the replies guys.
I'll ask for a Masterfit price for the job...if its not a fortune I'll get them to change it as well. As its used as a taxi, I do class it as a hard working car.
8 hours of driving about Swindon yesterday, so constant gear changes and then 4 adults and a bootfull of luggage upto Heathrow carnt be much easier for it than towing a caravan.
Cheers

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Result

Hey guys,

Sorry haven't updated this one but had to have some more surgery on a back problem-on the mend now!

Had a mate who is a vauxhall mechanic (nice bloke-honest!) connect a Tech2 up & it showed a fault on the selector switch that will be replaced shortly.

I realise that this may be obvious to some but wanted to leave some sort of result on this thread-thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts