Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, looks like I have a leaky sump gasket.

How hard is this to do?

Anyone here had to do it? Anyone fancy doing a how2 with pictures?

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
no one? :(

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
is it leaking loads or just a bit. i just sprayed mine with carb cleaner and wiped off the excess, think most end up leaking a bit

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just a little.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
I Changed mine at the weekend. Cheak to see if it is the cork gasket or rubber gasket one. mines was 2.0 8 valve so it was rubber one that has the baffle plate in the middle​

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
never did change mine, leaks a bit, but never hits the ground, clean it every service with brake cleaner. never got any worse to be honest.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only drips a little, but looks like its been left a while as its all over the subframe (guess that won't rust away anytime soon :D) It's mainly because my arse of a neighbour is complaining about the mess it leaves behind...

Also, if I'm doing a full oil change, may as well get under and get it sorted if I can.

Will see what I can do about cleaning it up though.

·
Premium Member
5,296 Posts
Envoy CDX said:
Only drips a little, but looks like its been left a while as its all over the subframe (guess that won't rust away anytime soon :D) It's mainly because my arse of a neighbour is complaining about the mess it leaves behind...

Also, if I'm doing a full oil change, may as well get under and get it sorted if I can.

Will see what I can do about cleaning it up though.
mine is the same and every1 ive spoke to said its a waste of time as it'll leak again after a few months so i have left mine alone, if it gets any worse i'll change mine but as it is i just use the hose and whats left in the bucket after i have washed the car to clean it up

·
Cavwebs Infosponge
983 Posts
I would be tempted to leave it. Its a two gasket set up. Block, gasket, sump baffle gasket sump and lining the lot up is a pain in the arse. I changed mine and tbh, it was not that hard but it was cold and I accidently pushed a bolt through the cork and it leaked worse than ever.

As we speak it is being done professionally ( I hope) so I'll see how long it lasts. 8v's are apparently better as the sump baffle has a rubber surround which is better at sealing. In fact, most people on here have advised me that change my one (xe) for an 8v one.

I should have left well alone.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will see how bad it is when its cleaned up, what im afraid of is that its gunked up and by cleaning it im going to have oil pouring onto the road.... lol...

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine doesnt appear to - but it is dirty...

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Envoy CDX said:
Mine doesnt appear to - but it is dirty...

mine is liek that too, and i was told tey are bad for it, but it isnt worth sorting. filled it up with oil a couple of weeks back though and its like driving a different car!!:lmao:

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
Envoy CDX said:
Well, looks like I have a leaky sump gasket.

How hard is this to do?

Anyone here had to do it? Anyone fancy doing a how2 with pictures?
if yours is an 8 valve engine i would take the rocker cover off & check the gauze breather in there before touching the sump , if the breather gets blocked it makes a build up of pressure inside the engine & can force oil out of the sump gasket , got to be worth a look before you drop the sump off.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
If the job isdone right it wont leak again. Who told you it was a waste of time as it will only leak again, must have been a wannabe mechanic
whitebullet said:
mine is the same and every1 ive spoke to said its a waste of time as it'll leak again after a few months so i have left mine alone, if it gets any worse i'll change mine but as it is i just use the hose and whats left in the bucket after i have washed the car to clean it up

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cav TD gls said:
if yours is an 8 valve engine i would take the rocker cover off & check the gauze breather in there before touching the sump , if the breather gets blocked it makes a build up of pressure inside the engine & can force oil out of the sump gasket , got to be worth a look before you drop the sump off.
Where do I look exactly? And yes, 8 valve :D

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
Envoy CDX said:
Where do I look exactly? And yes, 8 valve :D

take the rocker cover off & look inside , there is a baffle plate held on with 2 10mm bolts , take that off & the gauze is inside there , you can buy new ones for a few quid from a motor factors , or do what i do & set fire to them to clean them , not bad job to do & i have done a few over the years, lol

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
cav TD gls said:
take the rocker cover off & look inside , there is a baffle plate held on with 2 10mm bolts , take that off & the gauze is inside there , you can buy new ones for a few quid from a motor factors , or do what i do & set fire to them to clean them , not bad job to do & i have done a few over the years, lol
Is that why your cav is smoke grey?:lmao:

Parafin works well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts