Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thinkHi Im just about to lay my hands on a 3.0 v6 engine for my 95 omega estate manual , I no the plus side is that im going to have abit more grunt than my 2.5 v6 got, but what should I know before placing this lump into the car, as far as I know this should be a straight forward swap, but sods law theirs always a catch somewhere. If anybody can give me any pointers on the differences between the 2.5 and the 3.0.:bananasmi

R

·
0 Posts
I am not 100% about this, but I seem to think the ECU and harness will also need to be changed.

·
Club Barge
3,467 Posts
Hello,

I think the 3.0 will run on the standard 2.5 ECU and harness, but it'll be a bit underpowered compared to other 3 litres.

HTH,

James

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi thanks for the feedback, I am receiving the ecu with the engine, but would like to know what you mean by the :dunnoharness.

·
Registered
18 Posts
hiya, i think that instead of putting that 3L in yours, you should let me have it for mine, as i suffered cam belt failure yesterday after owning it a week! see my thread for details lol and let me know where to pick the engine up from please.............. (only joking!!!!)

Point to note though, make sure the cam belt and tensioners are replaced!!!!!!!

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
You want the engine with the loom still attached and the ECU simply lying on the plenum (there should be no need to cut any wires as the whole loom connects to two main connectors by the battery plus a power feed to the pos terminal)

You also want the keys (so you can get the immobiliser transponders from them) and the immobilisr module (sits around the ignition switch.

If yours is a manual them idealy you also want the R28 gearbox to.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The engine loom is the same for the 2.5 &3.0 - just the ecu is different.
We used the same harness to test them just changed the ECU.
You might have a problem with the immobiliser though/ it will run with the 2.5 ecu but you will not get the full power out of it.

vxromega said:
:thinkHi Im just about to lay my hands on a 3.0 v6 engine for my 95 omega estate manual , I no the plus side is that im going to have abit more grunt than my 2.5 v6 got, but what should I know before placing this lump into the car, as far as I know this should be a straight forward swap, but sods law theirs always a catch somewhere. If anybody can give me any pointers on the differences between the 2.5 and the 3.0.:bananasmi

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi how would the immobiliser change the ecu, please shed some more light on this very interesting,I thought the ecu controlled the engine, I have asked for all the bits you have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
The ecu is programmed to the vehicle - you can't just swap them over to another car.
vxromega said:
Hi how would the immobiliser change the ecu, please shed some more light on this very interesting,I thought the ecu controlled the engine, I have asked for all the bits you have mentioned.

·
Banned
175 Posts
Not being negative, but is it really worth all that work, especially if the old 2.5 engine is still okay.
I am not against upgrading for more power with some cars but for the gains in bhp with this proposal there has to be an easier way ( including selling your car and buying a 3 ltr) if you really must have one

Just my two penneth Darryl

·
Omega Tank Commander
7,722 Posts
For info, the immobiliser unit is programmed to the ECU, if it recognises a valid key transponder then it sends a code to the ECU hence why you need the full set.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts