Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im a noob when it comes to this stuff and even a simple brake pad change i want to double check some things. (my only car, its old its haggard and knarly but its mine and its important i dont naff this up)

Ive picked up the correct pads but ive just popped the wheel off the car and its a filth fest and the pads are nearly gone :boff Ive only had the car a month and the breaks squeel a little and theres a bit of feedback through pedal so needs doing pronto.

Is there any tips? I have some copper grease but am not entirely sure what to do with it and where is the valve i have to bleed to get the piston back in?

Lemme know if theres a guide better than the haynes manual which has very very crap pictures!

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi firstly go to the local garage and steam clean both sides to remove the cack then read the eamil i am sending you
regards
Steve

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man that helped alot, haynes is great but sometimes isnt the clearest thing in the world.

Anyways this is what was left of my pads, about 4-5mm at best.

Best bit is the MOT was only done 3 months ago (b4 i got the car) evidently a con :down: unless stevie wonder works as a spanner jocky in wolverhampton :eh

Discs looked to need doing as well imo but i will do that next time around.

Pretty much everything on this car wants doing :( Least i learn this way :bananasmi

Thansk again!

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi if i didn't know better i would say it looks like a siezed slider has caused this check the sliders for free movement
regards
Steve

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
Hi if i didn't know better i would say it looks like a siezed slider has caused this check the sliders for free movement
regards
Steve
To me the pics are showing a new brake pad and the old brake pad - to show how much the old one has worn compared with the new one.

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi i thought he was showing the pair oops i just looked again you are right it is a new one that'll teach me to pay more attention lol
regards
Steve

·
VXon Frontera Monkey
9,882 Posts
Hi about what you have for the pads and different depending on car for the disc's as they are different thicknesses from the start if you look around the outer edge of the disc you will see a flat cut out thats the wear mark limit
regards
Steve

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
Anyways this is what was left of my pads, about 4-5mm at best.

To me the pics are showing a new brake pad and the old brake pad - to show how much the old one has worn compared with the new one.
To be fair the picts say one thing but the caption said something different - I was thinking uneven wear as well :rolleyes:

·
Still proud to be a
4,111 Posts
since when did both pads per caliper have the clips on the back ;)

Discs arent too bad to remove, set of allen keys and a wooden mallet did it for me.

·
Premium Member
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pitty i got drums on the back :(

They look like they are going to be more difficult to get into.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts