Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on this on the forums and Google. People in general seem to think that black smoke on acceleration is OK. But is there a way to reduce it? Today I cleaned the EGR, but I've also been told to clean the air flap assembly and MAP sensor and replace the air filter. Any ideas on what else I could try?

And if I start playing about with the air flap assembly or MAP sensor will that cause an engine management light to come on?

·
Super Moderator
26,976 Posts
It's not ok as it will struggle to pass the smoke test come mot time .

·
13,896 Posts
No black smoke from mine under hard acceleration and I am 100 miles away from hitting 100,000 miles.

Reactions: SickStrings

·
Registered
222 Posts
Me either, same mileage. I thought DPF's were supposed to eliminate most of the soot clouds you used to see on diesels when revved out?

Is this the same car you just bought with the Sport Mode button issue? - tbh, you're not missing much. If it's a 1.9DTH it's still 150BHP with the button on or off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah same car. I bought it cheap as it's done 150,000 miles and in the hope that I could fix a couple of problems. The black smoke being the worst. It's a 2006 1.9 cdti.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If the 2 SAAB's I know which are my pal's taxis then 150k is not really anything to worry about. Both of those with the same lump have surpassed 240k. Seems there's still a stigma with 100,000 miles+, as far as Joe Public is concerned. If the cambelt is done on time / miles and water pump changed at the same time then I wouldn't worry about those miles.
"Just getting run in", as my Dad used to say.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read in the paperwork that the cambelt and water pump has been done. In Australia we used to drive them well over 200k and no one was bothered. It seems that this smoke can be caused by it standing about for a while... the previous owner, an old woman, didn't use it much and I doubt the turbo really kicked in at all. Apparently I should take it for an 'italian tune up' and use some better quality/non supermarket diesel. I'll give that a try before taking anything else apart.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts