Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The CD player in my 03 corsa sxi had to be taken out for retrieving the keycode for it. Since it's gone back in I struggle to turn the unit on and off with the power button.

I've heard that this may be a common fault with this unit?
Anyone had this problem?

The car is just older than 3 years now, so I guess it's warranty has expired. If it is a known fault can it be replaced by vauxhaull? Will I have to fork out the money to either replace it or have it fixed?

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 54 plate corsa and my stereo was switching on by itself. I phoned Mackays in Dingwall and they told me if it was a genuine fault they would replace it free of charge. Apparently that is a common fault with them too.

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
Mine kept coming on by itelf too. I have a JVC unit now, but it doesn't come on with the ignition, due to Vauxhalls dodgy wiring. (VW are the same).

Once you manage to get it on with the engine running, doesn't it go off with the ignition, so you can just leave it on and not have to mess with it?

I bet the radio isn't covered by the 3 year warranty anyway......

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
due to Vauxhalls dodgy wiring. (VW are the same).
not dodgy wireing, vauxhall wire the permanant live and ignition live the other way around iirc to most manufactures, all you need to do is pull these wires out of the ISO block and swap them around and should work perfectly,

other than that it isnt the vauxhall wireing thats doing it....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine kept coming on by itelf too. I have a JVC unit now, but it doesn't come on with the ignition, due to Vauxhalls dodgy wiring. (VW are the same).

Once you manage to get it on with the engine running, doesn't it go off with the ignition, so you can just leave it on and not have to mess with it?

I bet the radio isn't covered by the 3 year warranty anyway......
Has the problem of it switching on by itself stopped now since you got a new cd player? I am thinking of getting a new cd player too so I never bothered getting it sorted!

·
Premium Member
417 Posts
not dodgy wireing, vauxhall wire the permanant live and ignition live the other way around iirc to most manufactures, all you need to do is pull these wires out of the ISO block and swap them around and should work perfectly,
Only if the radio is designed for Vauxhall. Otherwise they wont, because the vauxhall ignition feed to a radio uses some wierd pulse logic.
Mostly you join the two feeds together to the permanent live, and have to switch it off yourself.
The other thing to watch is that the speed signal goes to the radio. If you mess that up when you change the radio you have big trouble.

To me ANY car where there isn't a direct connection from the switches to the lights has dodgy wiring, and is a breakdown waiting to happen. Donkeys years ago I worked in electronic design. The most reliable electronic component is the one that isn't there, because it can never fail;)

Jeorje,

The JVC has been no trouble at all. I didn't wire the remote as I can reach the buttons on the radio much easier (because they are always in the same place), than trying to figure out where they are on the wheel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.