Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, first post so I hope for a reply :)

Well, Im selling my BMW 328 since I have a wedding coming up and basically need the money for that - hate to see it go, but hey ho! Anyway the long and short of it is that I have to buy myself something cheaper, and to be honest i was resigned to buying a heap of rusted junk with a heater as the only working luxury. Then I remembered my dads P reg omega a few years back which he used to ferry me around in. I loved it, and i wondered by chance how much one would be.

I WAS AMAZED, i can pick one up for between 300-1000, happy days!

Anyway, Im after some advice I suppose - which models should i go for, coming from my 2000BMW i am used to bits and pieces to twiddle with, so I am guessing the CD, CDX or elite are the best bets. How much difference is there between these models?

Also, I was thinking it would be a good idea to steer clear of an automatic of this age as the gearbox could be on its way out after 100000+ miles.

Anyway, thoughts and opinions on what i should go for would be appreciated :)

Matt

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
CD= Company Director

CDX= Company Director with Xtras

Elite= Company Chairman with chauffeur
This of course all applies to a small company with a relativly low turnover.

Lower spec cars are slightly cheaper, not much though!

L

·
0 Posts
Good description from GMad! :lmao:

Yes, get the elite if you can, very very nice.

As for the autobox, they are superb units, very very reliable.

Just make sure the cambelt kit has been changed or budget for it!

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
haha excellent thanks. I am really looking forward to owning one, but have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, so its going to be pot luck. Ill probably lift up the bonnet and nod my head pretending i know what Im looking for, and maybe sniff the water bottle or something stupid like that.

L

·
0 Posts
Read the buyers guide at the top and take it with you.
Should help you on what to look/listen for.

·
Registered
761 Posts
GMad said:
CD= Company Director

CDX= Company Director with Xtras

Elite= Company Chairman with chauffeur
This of course all applies to a small company with a relativly low turnover.

Lower spec cars are slightly cheaper, not much though!
lol :lmao:

MV6 = Wild Hooligan pretending to be a traffic cop:bust:

seriously dont forget the mv6!!!!

cdx spec - with some sporty inclusions

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Be aware that ex-police ones may be called Elite or MV6, but they ain't. They are very basic....

·
Rascal
12,155 Posts
TheBoy said:
Be aware that ex-police ones may be called Elite or MV6, but they ain't. They are very basic....
whys that then? Why call them something they are not? I know why they don't have the extras, but why pretend they do?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
They called them MV6 (before retail MV6 available) was used as Police spec. Because this model didn't really exist, they were marked as Elite on logbook (as Elite was only one available retail with 3.0l V6 engine used in Police spec). So in effect, it was an Elite, but with all toys removed (lowered and stiffened as well), just called MV6.

Then, around 97/98, Vauxhall decided to release a 3.0l V6, sporty Omega, lowered, stiffened, put in a good spec (CDX, but without the cruise control), give it HID lights etc, and call it MV6 just to confuse everyone.

So you have Police spec Elite/MV6 (depending on what seller calls it), which is base spec (around GLS spec), in addition to retail spec MV6 (sporty CDX spec) and Elite (all the toys)

·
Registered
206 Posts
The early 3 litre Omega's were actually badged as Vauxhall Elites in an attempt to distance the larger 3 litre models from the more humble four cylinder cars and win over somewhat sceptical Senator owners who's cars had always had a seperate identity in the range from the Carlton. Vauxhalls marketing guru's were a little nervous about the sales prospects of the high end flagship model having the same identity as the bog standard entry level car hence the slightly confusing name policy which was subsequently dropped. I have a 1998 Omega Elite but nowhere on the car does it actually say Omega.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Markiec said:
lol :lmao:

MV6 = Wild Hooligan pretending to be a traffic cop:bust:

seriously dont forget the mv6!!!!

cdx spec - with some sporty inclusions
Bugger I forgot the MV6

MV6= Wanna be copper or gangster/get away driver! Either way stupidly rapid, but bloody good fun:Cool2:

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
With respect to MV6 owners, Vx have a long history of making 'sporty' variants which are really mostly cosmetic changes (I had a Mk 1 Astra 1.6SR for 5 years).

The thing is that the MV6 has slightly different spec then the CDX, but as sportyness goes it is mainly the front seats with the thigh support and the stiffened suspension - the engine (and I belive also the transmission) is standard just like any other 3.0L. So it's very nice to have but is not seriously any better-off than a standard Omega when it comes to sportyness.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
... mailnly, it should have really been a 2-door coupe - would have shaved off some weight of the car and make it look like a Merc CL.

·
Rascal
12,155 Posts
So how much for a set of MV6 HID lights then, for my wannabe cop look? Although i've only got an M-plate, I've stuck up a post on the local krooze site warning them of Thames Valley Police unmarked m-reg silver Omega. :lmao:

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
markjay said:
With respect to MV6 owners, Vx have a long history of making 'sporty' variants which are really mostly cosmetic changes (I had a Mk 1 Astra 1.6SR for 5 years).

The thing is that the MV6 has slightly different spec then the CDX, but as sportyness goes it is mainly the front seats with the thigh support and the stiffened suspension - the engine (and I belive also the transmission) is standard just like any other 3.0L. So it's very nice to have but is not seriously any better-off than a standard Omega when it comes to sportyness.
I think you'll find GM breathed on the suspension/chassis slightly:Cool2: My current CD estate handles well for a big car, but not as well as my old MV6, or indeed any other MV6 that I've driven.

L

·
0 Posts
They lowered and stiffened the suspension. The chasis is the same, but the manaul Mv6's also had an LSD.

Handle extremely well for a big car, and as for the noise they make! :D

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Yeh whatever guys! I'm only talking from personal experience here. the MV6 I had handled incredibly well compare to the lower spec Meega's I've had (although even they handled well for a large and heavy car)
I believe that was the point I was attempting to make (evidently not very well!)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
What I am saying is that Vx missed-out on an opprtunity to go a bit wild with the MV6, e.g. close-ratio 5-speed manual gearbox (no overdrive), larger 4-pot calipers with drilled disks, higher-output engine (chipped or through raising the compression), perhaps not VXR wild but definitely something with a little more bite...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts