Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked micky about this the other day, sorry micky if i'm repeating the question.

What exactly is involved to fit the CavTurbo rear panel onto a 5DR Cav. I've seen black GSi panels into 5DR's. Whats the problem with the lip people mention.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,460 Posts
I will get photos of the differences for you.

The bottom lip of the saloon boot panel has a lip of about 5mm, where as the hatch does not, its flat fitting to mate up with the protruding lip found on the hatch backs tail gate at the bottom lip.
 

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
Joined
·
8,709 Posts
Jason said:
I asked micky about this the other day, sorry micky if i'm repeating the question.

What exactly is involved to fit the CavTurbo rear panel onto a 5DR Cav. I've seen black GSi panels into 5DR's. Whats the problem with the lip people mention.
Not done one myself... But if it's the same problem as the Saloon lights then the bottom lip on the panel will need trimming off.

although I thought the saloon and the hatch panels were different widths? :think

EDIT~

Must learn to type faster! :rolleyes:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andy M said:
Just get a tinted one Jason, they look almost as good
I've got a brand new from Vauxhall CDX rear panel. I took it to my bodyshop guy whos an x vauxhall body shopmanager. He looked at it and said it can't be sprayed right as it's a mat finish. The ones that were colour coded he said are shiney and have a different part number.

I checked with Vauxhall and the the ones he's talking about exist however they can't source one for me.

I don't want to stick a black CDX rear panel on my car, as it's a SRi and not a CDX.
 

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
Joined
·
8,709 Posts
Jason said:
I checked with Vauxhall and the the ones he's talking about exist however they can't source one for me.
eBay mate!

Theres a Turbo one on there at the moment. :Cool2:

I don't want to stick a black CDX rear panel on my car, as it's a SRi and not a CDX
It's not a turbo either! :p
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
vauxmaster said:
eBay mate!

Theres a Turbo one on there at the moment. :Cool2:
Yes I know, hense why i'm posting about the Turbo ones. I've been looking on/off for a year, i almost fell of my chair when I noticed it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
C3MKY said:
There is also a Satin Red one also.

Sorry to bother you about this again, but looking at the blue one above, there is a lip near the bottom. I presume this just needs cutting off.

AndyM, Also i know the black CDX panel will fit, and know if can be sprayed pritty well, i'm just a bit overly purist about the car and trying to find a genuine painted one, thats all.
 

·
Missing the Booooossst!!!! :-(
Joined
·
8,709 Posts
Jason said:
There is also a Satin Red one also.

Sorry to bother you about this again, but looking at the blue one above, there is a lip near the bottom. I presume this just needs cutting off.
vauxmaster said:
Not done one myself... But if it's the same problem as the Saloon lights then the bottom lip on the panel will need trimming off.
:Cool2:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,579 Posts
Jason said:
I've got a brand new from Vauxhall CDX rear panel. I took it to my bodyshop guy whos an x vauxhall body shopmanager. He looked at it and said it can't be sprayed right as it's a mat finish. The ones that were colour coded he said are shiney and have a different part number.

I checked with Vauxhall and the the ones he's talking about exist however they can't source one for me.

I don't want to stick a black CDX rear panel on my car, as it's a SRi and not a CDX.
I know what you mean, its a bobbly finish similar to the door handles etc.
Ive sprayed a few of these and the technique is to use high build primer until the surface is perfectly smooth, then apply the basecoate and apply generous amounts of lacquer to build the finish up to a glass finish, it will then look like a bodypanel.
I can understand you wanting a proper one though
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,998 Posts
The grained ones can be flated back and painted but it depends on the effort/time you put into doing it as to how effective the end result is,Never though the hatch/saloon types were different but now you mention it I know what you mean.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
31,460 Posts
Jason said:
There is also a Satin Red one also.

Sorry to bother you about this again, but looking at the blue one above, there is a lip near the bottom. I presume this just needs cutting off.
Yes, as per other thread/post/pm jason.:Cool2:

With the textured panels, you can use filler primer, then flaten that down before base coat.

EDIT - Mr M has already mentioned this above:up:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,682 Posts
Jason said:
I've got a brand new from Vauxhall CDX rear panel. I took it to my bodyshop guy whos an x vauxhall body shopmanager. He looked at it and said it can't be sprayed right as it's a mat finish. The ones that were colour coded he said are shiney and have a different part number.
I'm no expert but would have thought that a decent bodyshop would have no problems in painting that... people seem to make the assumption that ex-Vauxhall people actually know what they're talking about and what they say must be right which is not necessarily true.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
14,579 Posts
If its a matt basecoat then you don't need to make the surface perfectly smooth either as long as the lacquer is flat its the lacquer that creates the light reflections of a smooth panel
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,328 Posts
Matt N said:
I'm no expert but would have thought that a decent bodyshop would have no problems in painting that... people seem to make the assumption that ex-Vauxhall people actually know what they're talking about and what they say must be right which is not necessarily true.

so if x vaux bodyshop manager says it cant be painted then i think its time to look for a new bodyshop....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,307 Posts
mine was off a gls i had and i rubbed it flat and used plastic primer then painted as per usual.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top