Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm told the CavTurbo clusters need the reflector modifying when fitted to the 5DR. I've also read the clusters are a different size.

Anyone shed any light on exactly what needs doing to make these fit.

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
Something about removing the lip at the bottom. Themorphiuz knows, he put GSI ones on his hatch.

I don't think its that big a job TBH

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
I put GSI ones on my old hatch- fitted straight on with no mods so would imagine Turbo ones fit the same

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Grab a photo of an hatchback rear light cluster backing, and then compair it to a photo of a gsi or turbo one. (im sure someone can supply these.?)

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
all the facelift lights are the same apart from the obvious differences.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The bootpanels are different at the bottom where they fit to the bootlid. The hatch one is angled and the saloon one is flat

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
CavHopper said:
But the trims could be the same, smartarse! lol!
"Smartarse" Brains everywhere - what can I say :lmao:

As for the trim - the lights sit higher on the hatch models because the top of the lid is higher so the trims need to be different.

·
Banned
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I can see that the 5DR one slopes in at the bottom. However I was told in another thread that the 4DR one is longer by 5mm. Far as I can tell there exactly the same size.

From these pictures I can't see why the CavTurbo panel can't fit directly on the 5DR, can someone confirm.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
It can be modified to fit but easier to just buy the right one

·
Registered
238 Posts
Panels are interchangeable but personally would go for the one to suit the particular model! I had a hatch panel on my saloon and eventually changed it for a turbo panel coz i woznt happy wit t fit/finish! :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Jason said:
From these pictures I can't see why the CavTurbo panel can't fit directly on the 5DR, can someone confirm.
Because the bottom of the hatch panel is tapered to fit the boot but the saloon panel is not... hatch panel will go straight on a saloon (although it will leave a gap at the bottom that you won't see when the bootlid is closed) but not vice versa. The bottom inside corner of the light clusters would need modifying to have a slight radius or there is a chance they will crack when you tighten them up as I found out when I fitted GSi clusters to my 1.6 hatch many moons ago.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The saloon panel will not sit flush at the bottom because it is not tapered to match the hatch bootlid. Width is the same.

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Matt N said:
Because the bottom of the hatch panel is tapered to fit the boot but the saloon panel is not... hatch panel will go straight on a saloon (although it will leave a gap at the bottom that you won't see when the bootlid is closed) but not vice versa. The bottom inside corner of the light clusters would need modifying to have a slight radius or there is a chance they will crack when you tighten them up as I found out when I fitted GSi clusters to my 1.6 hatch many moons ago.
Heres a photo of snails showing the lip under the rear lights. (panel fitted above lip, and not all the way down like a saloon)

And here you can clearly see said lip on hatch.. Below car is for sale HERE £175 with 2 hours or so left.

Saloon...

See above. No lip under rear lights, and boot panel goes right to the bottom of the boot fascia. You will also noitce the hatchback lip spoiler (if fitted) has a smaller wrap over area also on the rear facing edge also. This is due to the rear lights being mounted slightly higher.

I hope that clears up confusion.

·
Banned
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok but what about rear lights only...

I'm chasing some CavTurbo rear lights, but looking of them can't tell the difference between these and late facelift lights.

Can someone point out the difference between these, i'm refering this time to the lights, not the rear panel.

95 SRi

95 CDX

Cav Turbo

·
Premium Member
31,460 Posts
Some people have experienced damage caused to the reflector of gsi and turbo rear lights when fitting to an hatchback. I personally dont know what exactly you have to do to mod them to fit. I guess doing a search or checking through our Members Gallery to see who's got what fitted to their hatch, and then ask them direct what they did to the clusters.? Unless someone helps out here. I have read a few times of people damaging their rear lights fitting them, i have even purchased a pair of gsi rear clusters off eBay, only to find they have hatch fitment damage :(

1 - 20 of 44 Posts