Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my adjusters on track rods have seized and most garages and fast fit centres have all told me it will be £80 plus to have it tracked because of the adjusters seizing,is there a cheaper way of getting these sods undone without paying through the nose.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
take its to north east tyres and exhausts in Wallsend mate - I take mine there - worst they've charged me was £40

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
£80 is steep! Thats a whole mornings work at our place!

·
Registered
110 Posts
removed mine mi self and freed them off before getting it traked so only cost me £15 was a right f$$$ing twat to do thow were seizeed solid had to use burners at work to warm them

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Take them off yourself, unseize them and then get it tracked up. Two 15mm bolts at the steerin rack, pop out the track rod end then undo the two 13mm bolts in the adjustors.... free them off in a vice, grease them and refit them. Then get it tracked.... most garages quote stupid figures coz they assume all Cavs/astras will be rust buckets and seized solid (which most are) but if they are free, the whole job should take about 20mins tops.... I paid £15 to get mine tracked after I unseized then adjustors.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Mine were always nice and free- having the car so low meant that they had to be replaced quite regular!

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
mine were feked too, took them off at the centre of the rack and put new ones on. if you are taking them off at the rack, watch the little locking clip that goes over the bolts. small plain screwdriver does the trick but dont brake it.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
Andy M said:
Very surprised when i took mine they wern't seized lol
luck you, what a job i had with mine even off the car, now every time i service the car, i give them a little lub just in case they need to move again

·
22,199 Posts
My adjusters had seized and ATS told me i had to leave the car with them one day...got a phone call to say car was ready, expecting a largish bill when i got there due to the time they had spent on it...but they only charged me the normal tracking rate of about £27.

·
Banned
14,579 Posts
Am i right in thinking on that bit you turn with a spanner, one end has a left and thread and the other is right hand?

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
If your really stuck, remove the both arms (lime green). Undo from steering rack, and remove track rod end to leg bolt. Then whilst this is off, you can either swap them for another pair of bars that don't have seized adjusters, or put your in a vice heat up as mentioned and undo that way.

EDIT :lmao: Just noticed Dave has suggested this already - DOH :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
6,814 Posts
I soak mine in old engine oil once a month or so,never had a problem with them seizing up.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Well, just took mine back in. Not happy.. Mine were really seized they guy asked if they had ever been adjusted as the tracking was out on one side only.... (not sure how that happens)

I said I dunno I've only had the car for 2.5 months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts