Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one got a picture of were the timing marks are for a 1.8i, reckon mines out causing it to run like crap, got it in bits just to check it before i try something else.

Picture or diagram would be wicked, cant understand how it could have moved/jumped belt seems tight and only fitted abot 30,000 ago

is it worth a change and what bits will i need?

sooty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
last serviced before christmas, tech 1 no faults, done all the forum has adviced so far, still runs like crap, flat out at about 70

sooty

only thing ive noticed between the rocker cover & the carburetor thingy theres a small part that looks like a flying saucer pull the pipe off of that which leads to the bottom front of the carburetor thingy and it starts up
pretty spot on when cold put the pipe on and its crap still no power with the pipe off and driving it.

·
Premium Member
13,307 Posts
what it like with the pipe on as could be sucking in air?

have you check there no splits in pipe from air box to inlet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Driving with the pipe on seems to make no difference only has an effect when starting up from cold, no splits in the any pipes to be safe i swapped them over from ones i had in the shed, seems like the timing is well out thats why i want to elimate cambelt jumping some teeth, unlikely but its one more thing to el;iminate

sooty

·
Premium Member
13,307 Posts
does it idle ok??

when was fuel filter last changed?

fuel pump?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
idles fine with the pipe off
fuel filter em havent tried that, but the fuel pumps ok pulled a pipe off with a bottle under it and turned it over plenty of petrol coming out,

sooty

any ideas m8 on a diagram for cam marks sure its not that but worth checking now ive got the cover off

·
Premium Member
13,307 Posts
sadly im at work and even the haynes and scanner is at home.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
sooty said:
last serviced before christmas, tech 1 no faults, done all the forum has adviced so far, still runs like crap, flat out at about 70

sooty

only thing ive noticed between the rocker cover & the carburetor thingy theres a small part that looks like a flying saucer pull the pipe off of that which leads to the bottom front of the carburetor thingy and it starts up
pretty spot on when cold put the pipe on and its crap still no power with the pipe off and driving it.
that flying saucer is the EGR valve!!! maybe its knacked!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any ideas if it can be tested ???

would it be pushing out when cold ie you can feel a pressure on your finger when cold, this one has no pressure coming out when cold any ideas ??

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
EGR valve needs either cleaning or replacing, maybe thats answered my question too, as my timing is not out and idle is very lumpy.

Redex smokes well when i put some of that down the throttle body and it run a little better after.:lmao:

Same engine as you as you may have guessed :lmao:

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
you can see if those EGRs are working with a mirror i think, you can watch the diaphram by placing a small mirror under the valve. Look in the haynes manual if yo have one im sure it explains this in there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is more than lumpy, timings not out checked today, will take the egr off tomorrow, will post how it goes & the answer to my problem if i ever find it. Perhaps it will save someone else all this grief

sooty

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
the EGR works at low revs - when idle. Vaccuum from the throttle body should lift the diaphram as you open the throttle. If the valve sticks then you can get poor idle and poor acceleration/lack of power.

New EGR valves are expensive so it's worth cleaning yours first - or getting anothe from a scrappie. Use carb cleaner to clean it out and maybe scrape with a wooden tool.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts