Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
this is my first post by the way. I have a an sri 2.0 cavalier L reg but have had the battery draining overnight if I leave it connected so I disconnect the live terminal for longer stops. I think I found the cause the main live and earth cables from the battery have got overheated at some point and have melted into each other, first question is can I buy these from anywhere complete? I tried tracing them and it looks like the live goes to the starter and the main negative goes on down to the bottom of the engine so I was gonna try replacing with new and leaving the old ones disconnected but looks a nightmare trying to get to the starter has anyone got any tips or better suggestions? cheers............

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i wouldn`t have thought it would be the battery leads , if they did short they would burn out proper , more likely a boot light stopping on or 2 lives the wrong way round on the stereo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the cables definitely need replaced as they are through to the metal in a few places so I just need to know if there is a supplier I could buy from...
theres no other electrical fault I had just these two cables connected to the battery nothing else and getting ignition light coming on so definitely shorting there somewhere....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just a thought, I'd try a scrappie first that way it should cost pennies and if it's not a fix then you'll have saved some cash for the next thing to try.

Regards
Pete

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its a 16v but hanks for the offer, I think I'll try a scrappers when I get the chance, the only worry is how on earth do you get at the cables on the starter??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts