Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found out on Saturday that the good old Mk2 is one of the most in demand banger racers (along with the Nissan Primera and Datsun Sunny).

They are re-engined to 1600, stripped reinforced and off they go. Much stronger and lighter than the Mk3 they seem to be the racers choice.

Biggest problem is heat as they race in second gear.

Looks like my Mk2 GLSi is going to cheat the scrappie for a while as it takes on a new career:lmao:

·
22,199 Posts
If i was doing banger racing, id want something abit for sturdy and with more metal round me...thinking big exec, such as Carlton, Granada, 5-series etc..that size.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
What you want is one with a 4 speed box.

They must be getting a bit harder to find now. Are they using Vectras and Mondeos yet? I saw a Primera being used last year.

·
Premium Member
12,918 Posts
The old Antibes ended its days as a banger car (not sure how it did though) it was a 1600, solid body and a towbar, in the eyes of the guy who bought it, was perfect, and we got £60 for it lol.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Mk 4/5 Cortinas were the banger of choice back in the day when I used to race, last car that I had, and totalled in the demolition derby, was a Mk1 Ascona (ducks to avoid the stuff being thrown at him.........)

In my defence, it was prob over 10 years ago, when they were a lot more plentiful :lmao:

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
MK 2 Granny estates and jag xj6's will always be king of the oval for unlimited bangers, in the 1600's the bluebird is very sought after

Oh and a mate raced a mondeo at tipp a few years back, it snapped after following in a granny limo (not THAT hard of hit) and he ended up with too broken ankles.... newer cars (inc cav mk3's ;)) are too soft and real deathtraps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts