Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OH has a cavalier 1.8 (petrol) which keeps cutting out. It is mostly on acceleration but not always. We have changed the carb twice, the fuel line, the petrol tank, added filters, bought a new pump and tried an electric pump. Some one suggested it may be the brain which we are going to try tomorrow but as you can imagine it is driving us crazy!!!!:shame: I think i have mentioned everything but we are total novices in need of desperate help. Any suggestions? Thanks, Shell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hello Shell, The Cav will not have a brain if it has a carb; they are for fuel injection motors. These problems tend to be loose wiring connections around the ignition system, loose connections/corrosion on battery terminals even the connections made in the ignition switch. Intermittent faults like this are difficult to track. keep an eye on any other symptoms that may occur at the same time. IE charging warning lights, dim head lights etc. Also ensure that there is a good earth connection between the body of the car and the engine. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
As stevie says above really,also could be the ignition module that sits directly below the coil,Anything in particular that makes you think it a fuel related fault?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers guys,
OH says it sounds fuel starved and most people who have a bit of experience say the same. I know i sound daft but what is the black box directly behind the carb under the windscreen? ta, shell.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Its somthing similar to waht you call the "brain",It controls the spark,timing ect.I suppose it could be faulty but from what i remeber they don't go very often.the ignition amplifier module i mentioned earlyer though is a popular fault.Do you get the engine management light on at all?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not too sure really OH has just popped out. I know it comes on when it dies but thats normal i think isnt it? lol We ripped a black box off a scrapped car today so we are gonna try it tomorrow. Will check when OH gets back and post again. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Theres not really much to go wrong on the earlyer carb engines tbh as theres only 3 or 4 sensors which normally put the management light on when they play up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know its just totally baffled us and everyone that looks at it. I cant be precise as to when the car cuts out coz the car itself isnt precise. It dies when it feels like it. When we have done various things it hasnt died for a couple of days then it starts up again. OH has just come in and says the engine management light doesnt come on whilst driving. It didnt die when he now went out for once lol!!!! The most improvement we got was when we changed the petrol cap. It ran well for 2 or 3 days but then started up again worse.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Got to be honest it sounds like an ignition related problem to me,especially if it starts more or less straight away after cutting out.If it was me i'd be swapping the ignition amplifier module but as you've got the other module you might as well try that first.Do you know anybody else with a similar car to try bits from?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OH says that before he put the electric pump on it it took a couple of mins to start. We dont really know anyone with a similar car but the one at the scrap yard may still be there. We have been having a lot of trouble finding parts at scrap yards. They all use them for banger racing!!! GRRR. lol

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
The problem is apart from people wanting carb cars for banger racing is that scrap values so high at the moment they are crushing cars as soon as they come in and only keeping the newer stuff for breaking.try the module you've got and see what happens.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok mate will do thanks for your help. Hopefully will post with good news tomorrow. Fingers crossed!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Let me know as i've had these kind of problems myself in the past,Not many people on here with the carb engined cars anymore.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i would try driving around with the petrol cap off & see if it does it , or take the petrol cap off as soon as it cuts out & see if there is a hiss , its not unknown for the tank breather to block up & cause a vacuum in the tank.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have tried the black box and it hasnt made any difference:shame: Looked on a website on a similar prob and it suggests the crankshaft sensor, do you reckon it might be that?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Id try it with a new spark amplifier, My old Scirroco had exactly the same problem, kept cutting out whenever it felt like it, mainly underload, the first thing I did was get a spark amplifier from the scrappies, this didnt work so i stripped everything down, couldnt find the problem. I sort advice from the wise old man. And he said get a BRAND NEW spark amplifier you *@#*/@!!! and try that. Guess what, prob sorted.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
No,not from the motor factors anyway,this is the ignition amplifier i was on about yesterday.it sits directly under the coil.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts