Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and may I say you guys know your stuff.
So, I would like to bend your ears a bit.

A few days ago the ecu management light came on. I did a test and it shows No.17 knock sensor 2. I got the sensor but haven't fitted it yet. Then a couple of days after that it started running really sluggish. I ran another test, it's still showing No.17, but also No.93 (Quad driver Module) I've read some threads on this topic on other forums before I found this one, and basically the majority say the ecu's knackered. As well as this, the centre section has a hole in.

If I hadn't spent the last few months modifying it cosmetically I would have scrapped the bloody thing, cause it seems to be one prob after another.

So basically I need help on the following:
1)Which knock sensor is No.17? Front or back? and How the hell do I change it? Is there a how to thread on this?

2)With the ecu prob, is it a case of swapping like for like?

3)After taking off the centre section I noticed the cat doesn't look that great. Now I've read some threads on this and theres some mixed responses. My cavs a 93reg, do I need the cat or can I put a replacement pipe on? If I need the cat, does it have to come from a v6 or will any cav do? While I'm on the subject, what exhausts fit a v6? I mean will a sri, gsi 4x4 or calibra fit? I hope that doesn't sound too dumb.

Anyway, sorry for baffling on. If anyone can help I would be very greatfull.

Chers Mark

·
surfin lobster
1,092 Posts
1)Which knock sensor is No.17? Back one... and How the hell do I change it? No idea, but not a difficult job, believe access is limited though.

2)With the ecu prob, is it a case of swapping like for like? If there is a fault with it, yes. Match the part nos off the old ECU stickers with its replacement.

3)If the car passes the emmisions test, cats not great worry is it? Without taking the cat assembly apart you'll not be able to see the innards anyway for checking condition?? Dunno exact date but IIRC pre-93 cars don't need a Cat by law? But check this first. A V6 exhaust fits a V6 but performance exhausts are available. Hope this helps.

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
Stick the cat back on. Saves all the bother. Aug 92 on require to pass cat emmisions unless it something stupid.

Bought a knock sensor from ebay, bosch one brand new for £32.50, thought that was a good price.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got a knock sensor from autovaux for 27 quid. Your right about limited space to get to it, bloody nightmare. I gave up after 30 mins.

I got hold of a donor ecu, part numbers the same. The seller assured me it worked fine, and it came from a cav v6. But I've plugged it up and it sounds worse than the old one. Haven't managed to run a diog yet cause my bonnet catch is playing up. Is there something I have to do after plugging up the new ecu? like unplug the battery for a while to reset or something?

Cheers Mark

·
surfin lobster
1,092 Posts
Is there something I have to do after plugging up the new ecu? like unplug the battery for a while to reset or something?
Exactly right! Disconnect the battery for a few minutes (dunno how long TBH) and this should reset the ECU & any fault codes.

Edit: Though having said that, the replacement ECU should have been reset anyway as its been disconnected from a power source anyway... Try running through the fault codes again to see what it throws up at you now. Car might just need tuned up now, perhaps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Run diag again. Still reads code 17, knock sensor, cause I haven't changed it yet. But code 93 has gone. So must be better than the old ecu. I've just unplugged battery, so I'll wait to see what happens.

I've purchased some new spark plugs for it. I know that you have to take all the top off to reach the back ones. Now I've never seen plugs positioned like the front 3 before (cause I've never owned a v6) I've pulled the htleads off and am I right in saying the plugs are submersed in the oil? That is if all that oil is suppose to be there:mmmm . That proberly sounds stupid, but I ain't no mechanic, and like I said, I've never worked on a v6 before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you were right. front and rear had gone, well front one had been bodged with gasket sealer from previous owner. He even had it in for a service a month before I bought it. The rear plugs don't seem to have been changed from new. I think now I've stripped all the intake manifold off I will be able to get to the knock sensor a bit easier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts