Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
called my vx dealer this morning to get some cam cover gaskets and associated parts for the cav and they told me i need my engine number to order as they cant look up a vx as old as mine on their system (1994). hmmn. said they needed the engine number because otherwise they couldnt be sure they could give me the right gaskets. i said it was a C25XE and surely that meant they could give me the right gaskets with this info alone but apparently not. siad i needed the engine number "located somewhere near the starter motor on the block itself". i dont seem to remember this problem with the gaskets i bought for my X30XE omega.

anyway, quick question, whereabouts can i find the engine number, is it easy to find and which other parts should i get while im there? i know i need the sealant and the gaskets, thought i'd change the plugs while im at it too.

thanks chaps and chapettes ! ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
check your v5 doc. engine number will be in that.
ace, will be a bit cleaner than delving around in the 'bay. i havent had a chance to clean it up let alone a service since i got her a couple of months back, just havent had the right weather, but an impromptu steam clean might be in order over the coming week or so...

thanks for the advice old chap :cool:

·
xbox enthusiast
1,531 Posts
they clearly cant be assed the vauxhall by me even has the mk2 cav on the computer i had no issues buying allsorts of v6 parts

·
Kind of a big deal......
6,540 Posts
All the older stuff is on microfiche from before they had the computers. I know they have recently had a new parts computer system as last time I was in none of them knew how to use it!

I ended up looking for the bit I wanted myself!

·
Registered
83 Posts
shouldnt be a problem for them to look up. i used to work in parts dept for my local vw dealership and on our computer we even had the old beetle and oringinal transporters on there. vauxhall is the same with there system and all other parts places have a slightly different system but covers for all car manufacturers. the person who dealt with you probably thought there was more than one option for your car. Not likely as the v6 lumps are the same.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
shouldnt be a problem for them to look up. i used to work in parts dept for my local vw dealership and on our computer we even had the old beetle and oringinal transporters on there. vauxhall is the same with there system and all other parts places have a slightly different system but covers for all car manufacturers. the person who dealt with you probably thought there was more than one option for your car. Not likely as the v6 lumps are the same.
thats what i tried to tell him but he was having none of it. i'll go back tomorrow hopefully speak to one of the guys i normally deal with, and will be armed with my engine number this time from the v5. hopefully that will be enough for them!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that should be enough. if any probs i could prob get you a set and send it to you. I deal with euro car parts in exeter and have never had a problem.
thanks for the offer, i'll let you know how i get on armed with my engine number first! :Cool2:

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jeepers! i called vx with the engine number and they said the engine requires the cam covers to be replaced in their entirety, you cant just get separate gaskets like i did for my 97 omega! to say i was suprised was an understatement especially when the price was quoted at me... eek. does this sound right to you?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dammit, called autovaux and they said the same thing, that on later models you can buy the gaskets separately but that for some reason on this engine you might need to buy the covers as a whole. there's got to be a way round this surely?!

·
Registered
83 Posts
on some cars the cam cover does have to be replaced but i thought that was newer cars as ive only known it on newer volkswagens. just phoned euro car parts for you and they list a gasket around £25 but he said he aint sure if it comes as a pair and he would have to order it as it aint in stock

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
on some cars the cam cover does have to be replaced but i thought that was newer cars as ive only known it on newer volkswagens. just phoned euro car parts for you and they list a gasket around £25 but he said he aint sure if it comes as a pair and he would have to order it as it aint in stock
so on these 'older' cars, does the gasket come attached to the cover? or is there no gasket at all?

is the usual process to just remove, reseal and place back on the cam if the cover comes as a whole? i ask because surely people dont go out and by new covers each time their covers look a bit leaky?

[edit: thanks for checking on parts by the way ;-) ]

·
xbox enthusiast
1,531 Posts
jeepers! i called vx with the engine number and they said the engine requires the cam covers to be replaced in their entirety, you cant just get separate gaskets like i did for my 97 omega! to say i was suprised was an understatement especially when the price was quoted at me... eek. does this sound right to you?
the funk?!

they do do the gasket ive bought it myself

what you could do is buy some metal cam covers from a vectra v6 (ebay here etc about 20 quid)and buy a vectra gasket. as a bonus they leak MUCH less as they dont warp as easilly.
my cav v6 was a 94

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the funk?!

they do do the gasket ive bought it myself

what you could do is buy some metal cam covers from a vectra v6 (ebay here etc about 20 quid)and buy a vectra gasket. as a bonus they leak MUCH less as they dont warp as easilly.
my cav v6 was a 94
were they x25xe ones that you put onto a c25xe?

problem with veccy metal covers is oil filler in wrong place to put engine covers back!

·
Registered
83 Posts
not sure on the veccy cavvy thing but you definatly should not need new rocker covers. If you cant get hold of gaskets then a bit of silicone sealant or something similar ( something that is heat resistant and stops the leak but easy to get off if you need to take the covers off again.) or instant gasket paste that good stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.