Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am new to the site but i have just bought a 92 cavalier gsi but i am having trouble starting it it turns over and fires but when it finally starts the starter continues to turn even after i have took the key out of the ignition.:grrr
i have been told it is the solonoid on the starter and i have also been told it could be the starter relay but i hav'nt a clue where it is positioned in the car can anyone help with my little problem wether it be finding the relay or solving the problem altogether :grrr

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:( yes i have changed that one cause i had another from a gsi 4x4 that had been scrapped but it did'nt seem to solve the problem and i have changed all the relays i can find

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
So have you got spare starter and relay lying around. Alls i can say its going to be trail and error so start with the easiest and cheapest.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i hav'nt got a spare starter but i have took the starter off i and it works fine running off a battery pack and i have got loads of relays but none of them seem to effect the problem i have but if i can could find the starter relay that might solve it but i will be buggered if i can find it but i have only had the car two days so i guess i'll keep looking thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i have checked all the ones above the fuse box and i hav'nt got anything at all in the box by the nearside suspension strut its just an empty box. i think i will go and get another starter tomorrow just in case it is the solonoid

·
Registered
148 Posts
mine did the same thing it was solved by changing the ignition switch which, i might add ran through the alarm?, just thinking if you have the same problem replacing it won't solve it. in the end i cut a wire and put in a manual overide because the ignition stayed on when started and burned out three motors, get a test probe and check the barrel again the last wire on the barrel should go out when the key is released after starting the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts